White cavity on GSPs head??

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Steve1976
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Great Britain

White cavity on GSPs head??

Post by Steve1976 »

Please could someone help me identify just what this creator is on the head of my GSP? It doesn’t seem to be affecting him in any way, but it is slowly getting larger. The photo doesn’t really do it justice to give an understanding of the ailment.

High Range PH: 7.8
Nitrite: 0
Nitrates: 0
Ammonia: Less than 0.25
Salinity: 1.008
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: White cavity on GSPs head??

Post by Pufferpunk »

So it looks much worse than this pic?
Please answer ALL the questions above, in red.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Steve1976
Puffer Fry

Post by Steve1976 »

Hi Pufferpunk, thanks for reading.

It's not worse, so to speak, but hard to get a photo that shows the detail - it's not fluffy (doesn't look like ich), but has sort of small craters in it. I guess how a sloughy scar looks, if that makes sense.
We first noticed it after a clean of algae (not a water change), so we weren't sure if he'd banged his head. It wasn't this big, and had a flap of what we thought was skin coming off it. Then the flap vanished and part of it went a brown/yellow colour. We thought it looked like it was knitting back together. It stayed that way for a day or so and know it's like this. He's still as active as he was, eats when he's hungry, and comes out to say hello if he's feeling sociable.
We are wary of using medications as we lost an entire tank (tropical) following fish shop advice (a renowned/respected fish shop in the UK, not a chain store), and we would hate to have a repeat.

Sorry for ignoring the other questions above - answers below - thank you for all and any help!

1) Your water parameters - High Range PH: 7.8, Nitrite: 0, Nitrates: 0, Ammonia: Less than 0.25, Salinity: 1.008
2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants - 125L, just the one GSP, with an external Eheim Professional 4+
3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank - 30L weekly change with RO water, salt used H2Ocean Pro. No other products added. He eats fish, cockles, crayfish and scallops, 3-4 times weekly. If he comes asking for food he also has dried shrimp and/or mealworm in between main feeds
4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so - around 10 days ago manually removed algae from the glass (it builds up on the back to a thick layer that you can't see through, we only do this periodically as it takes a long time to build up)
5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? It's been set up, with only the GSP ever in it, for around 4 years. Before that he was in a different tank. We cycled this one for around 2 weeks (if I recall correctly), adding his other tank water, some Prime, and that's all. He was fresh water when we got him (were told he could stay that way). He has been i slightly higher salinity but he prefers it a little lower it seems!

Thanks again for your help.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Thanks for all that info! I am curious--even though I see you have had that tank cycled for some time, why you are showing no nitrate & "some" ammonia? Also, why RO water? Is there something wrong with your tap?

At 1st I was going to say heater burn but when you mentioned the flap, it looks like he might have bashed himself on a rock.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Steve1976
Puffer Fry

Post by Steve1976 »

Well, the ammonia colour was ever so slightly different coloured from zero, so I didn't want to say zero (though that is probably what it is). Sometimes the colours are a little tricky to read!

We use RO water because our tap water is so hard, and so chlorinated, that it used to take almost a full day to get enough water through the filter jug (one of those Brita ones for drinking water) to do the change, so getting 30l of RO a week is simpler/quicker!

I hope he has just bashed himself. Should we be watching for anything, just in case?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Hard water is great for these fish. Prime should dechlorinate it OK.
Keep an eye out for it getting cottony.

Steve1976
Puffer Fry

Post by Steve1976 »

Thanks, Pufferpunk. We try and avoid adding anything if we can, after the mass loss we had. As long as we keep an eye on the PH, will the RO be Ok?

Will keep an eye on it and keep our fingers crossed!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

RO might be OK at the SG you have. Usually it has to be reconstituted with minerals.

Steve1976
Puffer Fry

Post by Steve1976 »

Hi!

So, our GSP has carried on eating and swimming, white belly, bright head. However the cavity has gotten much, much worse.

Any ideas on how we can stop this? It’s very deep, and we’re not totally convinced it hasn’t got to the bone..

Very many thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I really am not familiar with this kind of injury so I forwarded your info to some puffer expert friends.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Here's what I got:
"WaterLife Myxazin would be my choice of medication to treat the tank and promote healing."

I'm confused about why you have no nitrate? What test kits are you using?

Steve1976
Puffer Fry

Post by Steve1976 »

A4BD181B-9A03-448F-B36A-FDF19F74F76B.jpeg
Thanks, we will try and source some.

We use the API master test kit. Our nitrate result is as attached..
Steve1976
Puffer Fry

Post by Steve1976 »

Just to update - we've just ordered some WaterLife Myxazin, it should be arriving tomorrow - thank you again for your help!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I find it very odd you have no nitrate. Did you shake the chemicals as per the instructions?

Steve1976
Puffer Fry

Post by Steve1976 »

Yep, we add the first, shake, then the second, shake for 30 seconds, then wait 5 minutes... The colour never changes!