Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
Esnodgrass
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Post by Esnodgrass »

Hello. I’m new to the forum a s site. I had a tropical tank as a child. Decided 40 yrs later to get one again. Was told my GSP was freshwater. Told to buy dried blood worms and a box of aquarium salt. That was literally yesterday. Decided to do research and now realize he won’t be freshwater and has a lot of special needs. I may not know yet everything but I haven’t stopped researching, buying and doing. I have him in 8gal tank. I will get larger one as he grows. I’m aware of that. He is eating the blood worms ands I gave him snails which he devoured. I now have a second container to store snails I’ve collected from pets mart to feed and reproduce to keep buffer teeth worn. He and I are in this for the long haul! He will live 10yrs if I have to monitor his water daily (although don’t know how to do that either). With google and you tube I will spend my nights trying to figure this out

Initial questions:
Can’t find anything on when to start to move to brackish water amid how to go from day1 to eventually the right salinity.
Should I do 1/3 water change next week and make that 1/3 be brackish then over next few weeks do same. No videos or info really that say exactly what to do when. So I wait till he is adult which is when? He is about 2” now so I’d say juvenile but for how long?

I fed him twice today plus a small snail. I won’t so that again i know not to over feed but he guilts me hovering at water line begging it seems. Looking for ways to entertain him. I’ll change around decorations periodically but say to day just want to do right thing.

Thanks for listening and links or info appreciated. Might be new to this was devoted, willing and able!!!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Not what I expected. New to GSP. Need to move to brackish water

Post by Pufferpunk »

Welcome! Let's start with how you cycled this tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Esnodgrass
Puffer Fry

Post by Esnodgrass »

F50B67BD-9515-476B-85FD-B07CFB24673C.jpeg
I used top fin water conditioner had water checked at petsmart and told it was good. Mentioned I didn’t have fish in tank yet and he said to add readistart nitrifying bacteria starter which I did based on directions. I waited a few days then yesterday went shopping and found puffer. That pet store which was a local not chain store had him and had me add the aquarium salt. My current assumption is with water changes bases on amount I would add conditioner, bacteria add aquarium salt to mix let sit to then replace what is removed from tank.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Esnodgrass on Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Forget about any salt right now. Totally wrong salt too--you need marine salt to make BW. Adding bacteria & then the fish 2 days later is no good. That bacteria will die off within 24 hours with no ammonia (fish waste) to feed it. Get prime to condition the water & an API test kit. Keep a close eye on the parameters. Test daily for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. If there is ANY ammonia/nitrate at all, you must do a 50% water change immediately & add the Prime.

library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/

library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Esnodgrass
Puffer Fry

Post by Esnodgrass »

Isn’t top fin water conditioner the same as prime water conditioner or are they different?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

IDK a lot about Top Fin, other than they offer very cheap products. Prime dechlorinates & detoxifies ammonia/nitrite.

Esnodgrass
Puffer Fry

Post by Esnodgrass »

I had water checked first thing this morning and everything is good. I purchased a kit going forward and also purchase a larger tank in case that becomes an issue (which I know it will eventually). He ate this morning and had a few small snails. He goes up and down the tank and seems to hang out on the top like he is looking for food. I know if I put food there he would eat again but I'm not going to let him guilt me again like yesterday. It said once a day food eating within 5min.

I was going to setup the larger tank so i have time for it to cycle so i dont make same mistake. in meantime leave him in smaller one since water values were good. Open to any feedback or instructions. Appreciate your emails last night
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What are the exact parameters?

Esnodgrass
Puffer Fry

Post by Esnodgrass »

I will send them. I’m at a friends this evening. My sister is watching him. I do have question about food. Heard they like a variety not same food all the time. I have bloodworms. Would they like tropical wafer? It seems they float and might help with teeth. Just looking. Also found krill. Those being in a shell seem a good idea.
Esnodgrass
Puffer Fry

Post by Esnodgrass »

PH 7.6
High range pH 8.2
Ammonia 1.0
Nitrite/Nitrate color doesn’t match API chart mine is light green

Was planning water change tomorrow AM should I do 1/3 ?
Last edited by Esnodgrass on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

ANY amount of ammonia is extremely toxic. Can you do the WC now? I'd do 80%. Did you get the Prime? Do another 80% & then add Tetra Safestart to the filter.

Esnodgrass
Puffer Fry

Post by Esnodgrass »

I can’t do it till tomorrow 7am. I am at friend who had shoulder replacement surgery. Actually had my sister test over FaceTime She won’t be able to do a water change without me.

I bought 40 gal tank. Would it be a good idea when I remove water to put in the larger tank so it has a few gals of water that has had fish in it r the week? Or start fresh? I ask so I save water I remove if that would help in the larger tank.

Question with so much water being replaced how do I make sure temp is close to what tank has so not a shock? I can treat water before I put it in but how do you try to keep temp close? Thermometer? Just not sure. Even though my water values suck. He looks great and is and want although I know these conditions can kill or make him sick.
Last edited by Esnodgrass on Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

I usually put my hand in the tank & get the tap close to that temp.

Set up the 40g, move everything over from the smaller tank, including water (unless the substrate is gravel, use aragonite sand) & then treat with Prime, add Tatra Safestart to the filter & move the puffer over there.

Esnodgrass
Puffer Fry

Post by Esnodgrass »

I did that and he is doing great. I didn’t see your email until now so I didn’t move the water over or setup 40gal yet. Only had an hour to get home do water replacement and get back. Friend is really sick still from surgery. I will use next water change to repurpose water. I have gravel like you get from pet stores black and colored. I’m assuming move everything don’t use that gravel and get the sand. Will have sister order it for me. And do another water test in AM with FaceTime. Thanks again. I’ll let you know test values tomorrow. Question what values does the GSP want for tank values?
pH range?
High pH range?
Ammonia is 0
Nitrate & Nitrate 0 or is there range 0 to xyz?

Another question. I am watching too many videos. One said not to give bloodworms and snails. Only do those twice a week but to feed krill daily. I’m doing freeze dried bloodworms and 2 small live snails and day. And he eats it all. I gave him a frozen clam a few days ago that I planned once week so he has a shell to really work.
Last edited by Esnodgrass on Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

When you get the aragonite sand, be sure to rinse, rinse, & rinse some more. It will keep your pH around a steady 8,
Ammonia/nitrite should ALWAYS be at 0. Any signs, you should immediately do a WC.
Nitrate should be showing but keep it <20.

Have you read my article on this species I linked you to?