DPF agressive female issue

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Nanakamado
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Poland

DPF agressive female issue

Post by Nanakamado »

Amonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
ph 7,0
GH 7dGH/118 ppm
25C/77F
45l/11,8 gal

I have 3 females and 1 male. Sexed with use of puffer library and Reproductive Biology of Malabar Pufferfish Carinotetraodon travancoricus by Anupama et al. so I'm pretty sure I sexed them correctly.

The biggest female is very aggressive, today she went on a rampage attacking every other fish in the tank. Fully puffed, with the color changed. Of course, all of them went puffed in this situation :cry: I put her into net spawning box for time being but that is in no way solution for more than 24 hours. Can I do something?

Other important information:
my Cabombas are thinned (if not decimated) after my fight with cyanobacteria.
other tankmates 4 amanos and 4 red cherry. There is no aggression toward shrimps.

After I have seen first signs of agression I started preparations to move my puffers into 112l/29,5 gal, but I only just ordered tank yesterday, so before I get it before it is cycled it will be weeks. Can be something done beforehand?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: DPF agressive female issue

Post by Pufferpunk »

Puffers will be puffers--unpredictable. Sounds like she needs to be kept solo.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Nanakamado
Puffer Fry

Post by Nanakamado »

Pufferpunk wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:21 pm Puffers will be puffers--unpredictable. Sounds like she needs to be kept solo.
So be it. Anyway there is probably nothing that I can do, before new tank is ready, can I?

Do You think I should try if she will be less agresive in bigger tank or just let her live alone in the old tank?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Nanakamado
Puffer Fry

Post by Nanakamado »

I don't really know why are You linking this. It's just some kind "generic care sheet". Nothing new, nothing more than average aquarist can find on seriouslyfish or fishbase before buying a fish. And even less info than in Puffer Library...
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Really? I thought it was an excellent article. Especially the part saying they prefer to be in groups of 6 or more.

LaRebella666
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by LaRebella666 »

(Opened an account to share this with you , Since just like you ... I NEVER EVER found anything about female being this much aggresive) hehe.

I had the same problem with my biggest DPF female. One day she's decided to attack her *best friend* who's actually the smallest one .. she's like 6x his size (Most likely he's nanism such as the other small female I rescued) .. poor thing puffed up and didn't understood what just happened. The week after I noticed she's slimed up so bad... she's had internal parasite so I treated everyones but I removed her from the gang tank and put her with my biggest male.. everythings was going perfect expect when it was lunch time .. she's wouldn't let him eat and keep puffing to impress him (note that the male was eating tho). So this kept happening until the day my male "attacked her" in a gentle way haha. I decided to try to put another female with them and I could see she's was happy to have another girl with her and since shes been a good girl , when I see tension is becoming a thing between them I change her female tankmate.. yes... I do have alots of them haha. She's now back into one of the main tank and everythings fine but the tiny ones aren't in the same tank and still I can't put them together .. all she's want is to attack em .. and have no idea why since they're nice to her 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️. And I still seems to be the only one having DPF with the nanism syndrome... couldn't find anything and tried so hard 😑