GSP Colour change; how long until back to normal after tank change?!

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
PuffMamaaaa
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

GSP Colour change; how long until back to normal after tank change?!

Post by PuffMamaaaa »

Hi All! I am new to the forum :)

I purchased a Green Spotted Puffer in January and he has been living in a 20 gallon brackish tank (I know this is not big enough for long term!!).
I was waiting for his forever tank to be custom built and after cycling it and getting it ready I decided to do the big move two days ago. I moved him into a 40 gallon tall hexagon tank with the same brackish salinity (1.008) as his previous tank and the same temp. I also pumped a quarter of his old tank water in his new tank along with using some of his sand. I acclimated him for 1.5 hours before letting him go in the new tank. It was been two days now and I'm just wondering how long it typically takes for colouring to return to normal after a stressful situation like this for the GSP? He is always bright green with a nice rounded white belly but he seems a little bit duller than normal the past few days. He is still eating and moving around to explore the new tank. I don't know if I'm just being paranoid lol!

Let me know your experiences with how long it takes your GSP to get back to normal after a tank change or if you have any insight! Thanks :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP Colour change; how long until back to normal after tank change?!

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Did you move over the filtration from the other tank?
What are the parameters: Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH?
What was the color of his previous substrate?
How heavily-decorated is his new tank?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
PuffMamaaaa
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by PuffMamaaaa »

Yes I did!
Parameters: Ammonia- 0 ppm, PH-7.5, nitrate- 5
Substrate is same from previous tank, white colour.
New tank is fairly heavily decorated (it's tall so not too much up past mid height yet), I have four large live rocks that are stacked to make caves/ hides, two large leafy fake plants and a few small plants scattered.
I would add a picture if I knew how? haha

Honestly he is looking better and better every day, I just wanted to be sure he is going ok because he is my first GSP! I just fed him and his belly is getting back to his bright white colouration.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

What SG? You really want the pH around 8, which is accomplished best by using aragonite sand substrate.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"