GSP may not be happy

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
Jadesatin8
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

GSP may not be happy

Post by Jadesatin8 »

Got Benny 2 weeks ago. She was happily swimming around and loving life. Got her a car to swim in and out and explore. She's small ( maybe 1") and I have her in a hexagon 15g tank. I have a water testing kit and test every few days bc we already lost one GSP. Her readings are... ph 7.0, Ammonia 0.50, Nitrite 2.0 and Nitrate 20 ppm. Her water temp is around 75-77 degrees. ( temp of my bedroom). Water feels cool. Thinking Nitrites are high ( too much food ?? Water change needed ??) And maybe needs a heater ? How am I doing as a GSP mommy ?? Oh I'm worried bc she used to be very green and yellow with black spots, but is not a little brown on her sides. Oh and slat meter only reads lowest at 0.56 and her salt isn't even registering but she has some in there. Should I add more ??

Thanks for any help !!
Lisa
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP may not be happy

Post by Pufferpunk »

How EXACTLY did you cycle this tank? Add a heater & use a thermometer, please!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Jadesatin8
Puffer Fry

Post by Jadesatin8 »

I had this tank set up as an aquascape tank originally with aquadirt ( not sure of the name ) and some live plants in it. I decided to use it as a puffer tank when hubby brought one home and didn't want her to go into tank with other fish b/c she was kind of small and I have large community fish. I took samples of the water to the pet store. They said my nitrites were high and to change out 25% of water and should be fine. I also bought marine salt and added some after diluting it to the water. (The puffer was still in a smaller tank temporarily with cycled water from my community tank which has been established for a year now perfectly numbers.) So tested the water again and still a little high nitrites. Spoke with a very knowledgable fish person at the pet store, to find out I needed to cover the aquadirt with gravel to prevent the toxins from coming up. I also have been syphoning from the top of the tank not the bottom. Just skimming stuff off the top. Think I need to do a deep clean out of the bottom b/c food keeps falling down there and I'm sure she isn't getting it all. I changed out another 10% and water levels were all perfect. I looked on the water chart and anything very light or pastel are good number and mine looked like an easter egg pastel colors. I took some of that water and since I didn't have a drip system I took out 1/2 of her water and added 1/2 tsp to her little tank every 5 minutes to get her used to the new tank water. Put her in the new tank once she had a full tank of mixed water and she was happy as a clam. Got a little upset last week when I changed out 10% of water b/c it had been a week and nitrites were a little high but when I did another 10% this week she got a little brown again and has stayed that way. Still flipping happily around and eating fine. Thinking the temperature maybe ? Also added 1/2 tsp of diluted salt yesterday b/c the salt meter isn't registering anything the salt content in her tank is so low but I know she needs brackish water to survive.

Thanks for your help. Lisa
Jadesatin8
Puffer Fry

Post by Jadesatin8 »

Oh as far as Temp goes.. I do have one and it's a black stick on the side of the tank thermometer. It has a square that goes between 75-77* so I am thinking the tank is at 76*. What should it be at ?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

78-80 is recommended.

Here's what I recommend: You're not going to have ANY luck with most live plants in a BW tank. Remove the plants & all the substrate. Add 1" layer of aragonite sand. Find non-living decor like silk plants & rocks for decor. Do an 80% WC & add Tetra Safestart to the filter. Wait 2 days & do another 50% WC. Get yourself an API test kit. Keep testing the water. As soon as you see ANY ammonia or nitrite, do another 50 % WC. Do NOT add salt, until your parameters show 0 ammonia/nitrite nitrate <20 for at least 3 weeks. Get a hydrometer to measure the salt & premix iin a bucket with a powerhead. Do not raise the SG (specivic gravity) more than .002/week.

library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19348
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Jadesatin8
Puffer Fry

Post by Jadesatin8 »

Ok that all is very informative but what am I supposed to do with Benny while I cycle the tank?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Safestart will cycle it.
Or: library/water-filtration/emergencycycle/

Jadesatin8
Puffer Fry

Post by Jadesatin8 »

Update.. Did major water change. All levels are optimum level.... Ammonia & Nitrite 0, Nitrate 20ppm, the PH was a little high at 7.6 but I had just done a big water change. Going to retest today. Changed out the filters as well.

Minimized on salt ( hydrometer lowest reading is a 1.0022.. .should I get a different one to measure incraments below 0 ?? ). Does she need more salt ?? I know she needs brackish water but not sure how to do appropriate readings since I don't have the right SG guide on the hydrometer.

Took out all of the live plants and just left her crazy little semi large ( like a cave ) car in there with one fake plant.

Will minimize her food. ( BTW... What should I be feeding her ? The pet store lady gave me fly larva and advised maybe some feeder fish and ghost shrimp. please advise. She didn't like the frozen bloodworms. that just sat on the bottom of the tank.

BTW can I tell if it's a he or a she ?? I'm just calling her a she b/c my Betta ( in a separate tank of course ) is a He.

Thanks for your help.
Lisa
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Actually, pH isn't high at all, what you want is actually 8. Did you read those articles I linked you to? I'm not sure why you'd be cleaning the filters when you are having cycling issues? What filter are you using? Keep a close eye on those parameters. Maybe a 50% WC, as your nitrate is at the top of what you want it to be (<20). Did you shake the nitrate test, exactly as the instructions say?
Yes, you want a heater. Temp should be 78-80.

Do NOT add any salt until you are sure the parameters are stable for at least 3 weeks. Tap water has a SG of 1.000.

They cannot be sexed.

library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/

Jadesatin8
Puffer Fry

Post by Jadesatin8 »

Exit pretty much everything you said with the exception of a 50% water change instead of 80% initially so not to shock my puffer and it died carried her thank you for trying to help me though Granger. I think I'll stay away from puffers for now until I get better knowledge of how to care for them.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Oh no, I'm soooo sorry! I agree you might want to stay away from brackish fish for now but if you don't understand the cycling process, then you won't have any success with fish at all.

library/water-filtration/fishless-cycling/

Jadesatin8
Puffer Fry

Post by Jadesatin8 »

Thank you for your help. I think I'm going to cycle out this octagon tank for a bit and make it a cichlid tank. My 80 gallon ( which has a mix if Angel's, gourami, pleckos, small feeder fush that survived, a shark or two and a handful of danios ) is perfectly balanced... even though it needs a poop scoop cleaning. I will re read your article on how to properly cycle the tank out thou before I put any more in there. Thank you. RIP BENNY :-(
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

:rip: