Setting Up a New Figure 8 Puffer Tank

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Carla89
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Setting Up a New Figure 8 Puffer Tank

Post by Carla89 »

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum!! I recently came into possession of a Fluval Flex Aquarium 15 Gallon Tank (will upgrade when needed) and I would like to create a brackish tank for a Figure 8 Puffer. I have some questions regarding setting up the tank::

1) Do I need to get a second filter or can the one the comes in the tank be enough? (it is a 3 stage filter with mechanical (foam), chemical (carbon), and biological (BioMax) media). If I need a second filter what do you guys recommend?

2) Would sand be a good substrate or should I use gravel?

3) Can I use silk/plastic plants or do I have to use live plants?

4) How would I cycle a tank to become brackish?

5) How do I go about breeding snails to feed the puffer?

Thank you so much for helping me with my questions. I want to give the puffer the best possible tank I can.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Setting Up a New Figure 8 Puffer Tank

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
thatmarinescienceguy
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Puff Puff McGuff... an F8 who lived in 15-18 ppt, 75g, solo, I had for 6 years who left me with the sweetest memories.. who was apparently a boy with, according to the Vet a big set of gonads.
Location (country): Florida, USA

Post by thatmarinescienceguy »

I had a male figure 8.. he lived in a 75g brackish alone (I'm unsure what the SG was, but it was always around 15-19 ppt, well with Buddy the hermit crab (which he decided not to eat after a few months of meeting him). I may have overfed him over the years.. but I also have a 75g planted freshwater aquarium with angelfish - I keep that one stocked with snails from local pet shops eager to get rid of them. My puff ate just about all the snails that 75 could ever hold. I had to pull snails just from the left side, so the lucky ones on the right could reproduce. Maybe the snails figured out my antics? I don't know. He eventually ate all the snails from the left side, so I had to start pulling from the right.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

How'd you know it was a male?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"