Does anyone else have bad luck with African Dwarf Frogs?

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Three Amazon puffers (Colomesus asellus):
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United States

Does anyone else have bad luck with African Dwarf Frogs?

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Hi, everyone!
I was just wondering if anyone else has ever had a problem with Petsmart’s ADFs.
I’ve kept many in the past, but no matter what, they always tend to die of an unknown cause. The only ADFs I’ve kept for their lifespan were from a toy store, kept in a tiny cube.
Am I doing something wrong? To be honest, there are always dead frogs at Petsmart, and I feel like there’s just something not right with them.
This is really out of curiosity, because I know I’m doing everything right. Has anyone else had bad experience with Petsmart’s ADFs? What could be the problem?
“Can I speak to your chef, please? This is the worst tasting fugu I’ve ever ha—oh...”
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Does anyone else have bad luck with African Dwarf Frogs?

Post by Pufferpunk »

I don't think they have an extremely long life span, maybe two or three years. Possibly you're getting older frogs? What are you feeding them?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Three Amazon puffers (Colomesus asellus):
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): United States

Re: Does anyone else have bad luck with African Dwarf Frogs?

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

I feed them frog pellets, blood worms, and snails. The older frogs is a possibility, but I feel like they drop dead regardless. Older frogs usually get skinnier and more sluggish, and they seem pretty fast and lively before death. I do find that at petsmart, they’re treated more like fish, and aren’t treated for diseases like most reptiles/amphibians are. I don’t know for sure, though. I only have one left in my tank, and he seems happy, but I’m always afraid he’ll die out of nowhere. I’ve read different things about random ADF deaths, but nothing’s ever clear. As for age I’ve read that they average 5 years, though some can live 10-15.
“Can I speak to your chef, please? This is the worst tasting fugu I’ve ever ha—oh...”