Mexican dwarf crayfish with dwarf puffers

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): U.S.A

Mexican dwarf crayfish with dwarf puffers

Post by DDR2 »

Does anyone have any experience with this combination? I'm setting up a tank for dwarf puffers and have been wondering if this would work. I have some in my only community tank and so far, they seem pretty harmless.
Matts
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 tetraodon schoutedeni
Location (country): Belgium

Re: Mexican dwarf crayfish with dwarf puffers

Post by Matts »

I haven't kept dwarf Puffers, so I can't speak from experience with them but I have kept plenty of crayfish.

I don't really see this going well, crayfish are opportunistic and will snap at any fish that is in their reach.
Also i imagine that a molting crayfish might also be an easy target (or at least their legs and such) for a curious dwarf puffer.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

The Mexican dwarf crayfish only gets about 1-1.5". My sterbai cories push them around.
Matts
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 tetraodon schoutedeni
Location (country): Belgium

Post by Matts »

DDR2 wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:59 am The Mexican dwarf crayfish only gets about 1-1.5". My sterbai cories push them around.
We're talking about cambarellus patzcuarensis right? I've had them for years, and in my experience they can be quite aggressive.
I’m not saying they’ll eat your dwarfpuffers, but I wouldn’t rule out nipped fins and little marks. And likewise missing legs, antenna and wounds on the crayfish.

Like I said I have no experience with dwarfpuffers, (I should get my first puffer species next week), I only shared my opinion, I wouldn’t want to take the risk personally.
DDR2
Dwarf Puffer

Post by DDR2 »

Fair enough. Thank you.