South American Puffer Goby Tankmates?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Addywoot
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

South American Puffer Goby Tankmates?

Post by Addywoot »

I read the top thread on SAPs in a community tank but yet.. asking anyway. I've spent many hours researching what type of puffer to get.. even spent a weekend considering salt water. I'm thinking SAP is what I'd like - the community aspect and the less aggressive nature.

I really, really, really want both SAPs and freshwater gobies in a tank together.

I've got a 37g purchased. I am planning on breeding snails to manage teefies, adding hiding places with driftwood, adding fake & real plants. I realize the commitment to watch teeth health and weekly water changes. I realize they do prefer more horizontal swimming space but I'm hopeful that having an interesting bottom of the tank with a bit of height in the center (decoration of some kind) will be enough. Definitely open to opinions on this matter.

I'm thinking 3 SAPs and would really like a freshwater goby of some sort in some quantity. There are all sorts of freshwater gobies out there but would like to know what would work. Freshwater bumblebees would be super welcome but aquatic arts is sold out & they're hard to truly find.

Thanks for any & all feedback.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: South American Puffer Goby Tankmates?

Post by Pufferpunk »

With ANY puffer, it's always a chance they may at the very least do some fin-nipping, especially a secondary fish like a goby.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Addywoot
Puffer Fry

Post by Addywoot »

Yes, understood. It's critical to ensure that tank design can support the need for other fish to be able to hide and break up sight lines. Any recommendations on specific gobies?
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Three Amazon puffers (Colomesus asellus):
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

I can’t think of a goby that’s 100% freshwater, though people have done it. There are fish called peacock gudgeons, which are roughly 2” and freshwater. Seeings you are keeping a SAP, it’s really tough to say how they’ll interact. Though they are called “community puffers”, they can still be quite rambunctious, especially with small fish like bumblebee gobies. It all depends on your puffer’s personality...
“Can I speak to your chef, please? This is the worst tasting fugu I’ve ever ha—oh...”
NotFishyFishGuy
Puffer Fry
Location (country): New Jersey

Post by NotFishyFishGuy »

I have my 4 SAPs in a 60 gallon community with lots of swordtail fry, German blue rams, Cory cats, a few kuhli loaches, a female betta(that I raised from an egg), and a peacock Gudgeon. I also have a few mystery snails that are almost dead from the swordtails nipping and a shrimp that I’m waiting to see if they will live. I feed a few frozen clams and frozen foo din general. Everyone is fine except one dead puffer from being sucked into my Apex DOS AWC . Puffers are small and curious make sure they don’t accidentally get sucked into the filter or something :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

ALL filtter intakes should have a screen on them!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Three Amazon puffers (Colomesus asellus):
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

I’ve had mine get sucked towards the filter, but as long as they are healthy they should escape easily!
“Can I speak to your chef, please? This is the worst tasting fugu I’ve ever ha—oh...”