Tetraodon schoutedeni (Spotted Congo Puffer) tried to bite Hara jerdoni (Stone Catfish)

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
christiansakai
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Tetraodon schoutedeni (Spotted Congo Puffer) tried to bite Hara jerdoni (Stone Catfish)

Post by christiansakai »

I know that Tetraodon schoutedeni is one of the peaceful species of freshwater dwarf puffers. I have 3 of them currently with many nano fish, including betta fish, peacock goby, neon tetra, ember tetra, pygmy cory, amano shrimp, nerite snails, golden pencilfish, forktail rainbow, and asian stone catfish.

I've never seen any of those three attack any other fish/shrimp other than Hara jerdoni (asian stone catfish). When the stone catfish goes out from their hiding, my schoutedenis suddenly get so worked up and attempted to bite the stone catfish.

Anyone has similar experience?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Tetraodon schoutedeni (Spotted Congo Puffer) tried to bite Hara jerdoni (Stone Catfish)

Post by Pufferpunk »

I'm not sure why you'd categorize them as "dwarf" species?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
SAPpyPuffer
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Three Amazon puffers (Colomesus asellus):
Huey
Dewey
& Louie

Dwarf Puffer

Re: Tetraodon schoutedeni (Spotted Congo Puffer) tried to bite Hara jerdoni (Stone Catfish)

Post by SAPpyPuffer »

Not sure if I could consider the Congo puffers as suitable tankmates. Sure, they’re more mellow than other species, but mellow for puffer fish still doesn’t make them great with certain fish. Remember, puffers are curious, territorial fish, and will try to chase their tankmates, and can succeed. Also, how big are your congos? Like Pufferpunk said, I wouldn’t consider them fish for a “nano tank”.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Post by astrid37 »

That is a lot of fish in with even a schoutedeni. What size is your tank? This could be overcrowded and the puffer acting accordingly.
christiansakai
Puffer Fry

Post by christiansakai »

astrid37 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:40 pm That is a lot of fish in with even a schoutedeni. What size is your tank? This could be overcrowded and the puffer acting accordingly.
They are fine with other fish. Except the Hara Jerdoni.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

Post by astrid37 »

Having a tank too small for the inhabitants and without proper lines of sight can exacerbate aggression.