Looking for advice on what to do with a stunted Fahaka puffer.

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
csduck17
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 55g- Schoutedeni
15g- Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Location (country): United States

Looking for advice on what to do with a stunted Fahaka puffer.

Post by csduck17 »

Let me just start off by saying I'm far from a noob at keeping puffers.

I purchased my fahaka back in the spring. He came in about 3 inches and hasn't grown a bit since then even with feeding 3 times a day(different foods for each feeding). Also have soaked his food in vitamins. I always deworm my puffers and I have hit him with multiple different kinds of dewormers multiple times since I have had him. He shows no sign of IP and looks like a healthy small fahaka. I have tried every trick up my sleeve to jumpstart his growth but have had no luck. He has only put on weight since I have had him.

I contacted the seller a few weeks ago to try and figure out some things. The seller had the group of fahakas for right at 10 months at the point of me purchasing it so thats put it at over a year old. He orginally told me a year but narrowed it down to 10 months after I pressed. They were kept in a 20g. That just points to it being stunted to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts? What would you guys do with a fahaka puffer that won't grow? Im going to give him some more time but I just can't keep a 3-inch fish in a tank that big.

Thanks for any input! I'll post some photos of him when I make it back home in the next day or so in case you guys can see something im missing but I truly believe its stunting.
Last edited by csduck17 on Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Looking for advice on what to do with a stunted Fahaka puffer.

Post by Pufferpunk »

Here's a thread: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4030
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"