Dwarf Puffer with Cherry Shrimp

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
chowhung
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Dwarf Puffer with Cherry Shrimp

Post by chowhung »

I've been preparing a tank for some dwarf puffers for over a month now, and I finally got two of them today. That tank hasn't completely cycled yet, but I recently moved all of my guppies out of an already established tank, and so I'm temporarily housing the puffers in there.

The reason for getting them early was to help that guppy tank with a recent snail infestation. I also have cherry shrimp in there, as well as a population of scuds that I just noticed for the first time today (guppies were removed two days ago). But what I also noticed today was that one of the cherry shrimp just gave birth for the first time. Of course, I didn't notice that until after introducing the puffers.

I've been trying to get those shrimp to breed for months now, and eventually gave up hope. That's why I didn't mind introducing the puffers there (the adult shrimp are bigger than the puffers). But now that I know they're willing to breed, and the guppies were probably the reason they abandoned their eggs in the past (or the guppies just ate all the fry), I'm left with a dilemma, and looking for suggestions.

Do I move the puffers to another established tank? The problem here is that the only other tank "suitable" has 6 juvenile guppies (I suppose I could move those into my 75g community tank). Just concerned about the stress this will cause the puffers being moved from multiple tanks within a short time of period.

The option I'm leaning towards is putting more java moss into the current tank, and making it compact enough to where the baby shrimp can "thrive" and the puffers won't bother to break it up to find them. There are, of course, plenty of small snails in this tank to keep them occupied, but I know puffers are very inquisitive. What is your experience with puffers and how much they disrupt plants?

This is all a temporary situation until their main tank is cycled, but I would like to make their temporary home as good as possible, given the situation, for all inhabitants involved. Not worried about the scuds.

Only looking for constructive feedback.
Burnen van loutin
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Re: Dwarf Puffer with Cherry Shrimp

Post by Burnen van loutin »

I’m in the same process, just wanted to follow this thread if you get any advice. Just made a planted tank for the dwarf puffers. Trying to get them to spawn, which they coincidentally attempted the day I was going to drop them in. My concern is I have ghost shrimp to help with the algae, and I’m worried they will eat the eggs. Still getting mixed information on leaving the puffers with their eggs. Some say the male will fan the eggs, some say they will eat them. Sounds like we are working on similar projects. Just getting into planted aquarium, really enjoying it.
chowhung
Puffer Fry

Post by chowhung »

Burnen van loutin wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:50 pm I’m in the same process, just wanted to follow this thread if you get any advice. Just made a planted tank for the dwarf puffers. Trying to get them to spawn, which they coincidentally attempted the day I was going to drop them in. My concern is I have ghost shrimp to help with the algae, and I’m worried they will eat the eggs. Still getting mixed information on leaving the puffers with their eggs. Some say the male will fan the eggs, some say they will eat them. Sounds like we are working on similar projects. Just getting into planted aquarium, really enjoying it.
It's been almost a week since I introduced the puffers to this tank. Within 24 hours, every snail was dead. There were easily 100 snails. They haven't messed with the adult shrimp yet, but I haven't seen any shrimp fry.

The adult shrimp don't seem to mind the puffers either, because they are out and about like usual.
chowhung
Puffer Fry

Post by chowhung »

So it's been over two weeks since my last post here. Surprisingly, I found at least 8 new shrimp fry throughout the tank yesterday.

Since introducing the two puffers, I've lost 1 adult shrimp. I don't believe the puffers had anything to do with that (except maybe stress). She was the biggest of all my shrimp in that tank, and I got her at the same size from my LFS. Most likely old age.

My two dwarf puffers are extremely inquisitive, but they don't seem interested in shrimp whatsoever. Yesterday, I saw some shrimp fry in there that could easily fit in their mouth... They were still there today.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Nice!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Fintastic
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Post by Fintastic »

How are the puffers and cherry shrimp doing together @chowhung
chowhung
Puffer Fry

Post by chowhung »

Since my last post, I no longer have that same set-up. I moved the puffers and the cherry shrimp to a new tank (not the same tank).

I'm trying to downsize my tank load to 4 total tanks (it's a slow process).

The puffers ended up getting donated to an LFS (3 weeks ago). I didn't have time anymore to feed them live food.

On a second note, in regards to food, and my experience since my last post...

I went on a 5 day vacation late July. I had no way of feeding the puffers during that time. I figured that, worst case scenario, they might die, but second worst, they might finally eat the cherry shrimp..... (I had no snails to leave for them).

As a side note, I had let hair algae grow like crazy in this tank. Along with java moss, I've found that it helps Neocaridina breed.

When I got back home from vacation, all of the shrimp and shrimp fry were still alive (and had grown), and the puffers were still moseying around.

What may surprise you is that there was a lot of missing hair algae. I actually witnessed one of the puffers nipping at it when I got back.

I have never heard of dwarf puffers eating algae.

So long story short... my cherry shrimp and puffers got along great. But my puffers also ate hair algae. I can't say my experience would work for everybody.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I guess even puffers will eat their veggies if hungry enough!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"