mbu puffer

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
fynerpink
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

mbu puffer

Post by fynerpink »

where to start....
i went to view a tank for my fish, got there didnt like the tank it was a sorry state but in that tank were 2 blue lobsters and a mbu puffer, the puffer looked underfed, the lobsters had most legs and half the pincers bitten by the mbu and the lady said'oh yeh he snacks on them' 'i purchased them as a breeding pair to give him constant food supply' ....yeh that didnt work out for her!
so this became a recue mission i gave her £100 and took the lot, i dropped in somoe hidey tubes, ornaments etc for the blues and they jumped in after a small fight with the mbu. luckily for them they are a few inches bigger than him (8-10 inches)and hes a baby still (6 inches) they have about 3 legs each left :( .
over night despite hidey spots he managed to take a piece of thier armour from the tail end... so now ive found them a nice home with a friend who owns 2 other blues and ill be keeping the puffer until hes a bit bigger ..possibly get a bigger tank and he'll be staying. (i know he needs a bigger tank if staying is what i mean)
i owned a mbu from 1inch when i was 15 , he got to 2.5 ft before he got ill and died :( now almost 20 years on im completely lost as to what im doing, hes currently in 3ft hexagon tank, ive changed his diet from lobster limbs to cockles in shells , prawns, shrimp etc he couldnt manage mussels yet . his tank water readings all came back fine as far as my 7 in 1 tests show.
the lady only gave me him in a 10 litre bucket of his water, the filter obviously from the tank and substrate.
i dont know where to go from here
fynerpink
Puffer Fry

Re: mbu puffer

Post by fynerpink »

sorry meant rescue mission not recue
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Those poor lobsters! Glad you found them a god home.
I'm sure after keeping a 2 1/2' mbu, what-sized tank you'll need? Here's an excellent article:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=150
And this one, with not a happy ending:
library/puffers-in-focus/mbuforyou/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
fynerpink
Puffer Fry

Post by fynerpink »

does anyone have a tooth/beak guide for mbu puffers, this youngster (Presley) i have rescued seems to have longer teeth than i remember my old guy (pugsley) having.
hes only around 10 months i believe ill attach a pic
Screenshot_2017-04-27-00-26-34.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
fynerpink
Puffer Fry

Post by fynerpink »

found the most amazing way of helping these little/big guys with teeth issues, no putting to sleep etc... my friend made what i can only describe as a tooth file/scratch post for my Presley his teeth have been filed over 2 days of him having it in his tank and he now has a lovely set of teeth :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Aw he looks cute with the buck beak XD and love that idea!!! Will do that for future small puffs :)
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

Post by NJD »

fynerpink wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 8:02 am found the most amazing way of helping these little/big guys with teeth issues, no putting to sleep etc... my friend made what i can only describe as a tooth file/scratch post for my Presley his teeth have been filed over 2 days of him having it in his tank and he now has a lovely set of teeth :)
How did you make this??
drankdripline
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Four South American Puffaroonies
Location (country): United States

Post by drankdripline »

fynerpink wrote: Tue May 02, 2017 8:02 am found the most amazing way of helping these little/big guys with teeth issues, no putting to sleep etc... my friend made what i can only describe as a tooth file/scratch post for my Presley his teeth have been filed over 2 days of him having it in his tank and he now has a lovely set of teeth :)
can we bump this for the pure awesomeness! So cool!!!