Porupine Puffer with Ich and suspected Lock-jaw Looking for second opinions on treatment.

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
oxgen1
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Porupine Puffer with Ich and suspected Lock-jaw Looking for second opinions on treatment.

Post by oxgen1 »

Water Parameters:
Nh4: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate 10-20 (At work will test for sure later)
Salinity 33ppt

It's been a rough road to get to this point but here it is. My Porcupine puffer started off in a 65 gallon aquarium which cracked and leaked everywhere 2.5 weeks ago so we quickly moved him into the sump, we had a blue mandarin and a blue damsel that did not make it though this. He has been in the 40 gallon breeder aquarium for 2.5 weeks. About 1 week ago he started exhibiting symptoms of lock-jaw (Trying to eat but couldn't really get it in his mouth) This has been going on for 9 days as of today. 2 days (6/5) he was moved to a different place in our house (Floors being redone because of the fish tank explosion) and underwent a 50% water change. Later that night for the first time I noticed he had ich on him, I suspect its new but its possible I just did not notice it before. He is now in the 40 gallon with just him, live rock a filter sponge (with water being pulled though by a power head).

He's been fed only Krill (I've since learned this is bad) so that is why I initially suspected lock-jaw (which he may have in addition to ich), I am preparing to force feed him if this continues another week (Stating 6/7). From what I've read (Mostly here) that hypo-salinity is the way to treat porcupine puffers with itch.

I would appreciate any help I've had him for 8 months and hes been healthy since the explosion. I am wondering if I should treat with ich first but I'm very afraid of further stress to him because of how much he's under taken recently. I will continue doing smaller water changes for him and I've got ms-222 coming (Just incase I need to force feed him).
I will take any advice I can get on my situation. Thanks in advance!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Porupine Puffer with Ich and suspected Lock-jaw Looking for second opinions on treatment.

Post by Pufferpunk »

Wow, you've certainly had a time with this guy! Seems you have now done your research on treating both ailments. Where did you find the force-feeding info? Did you find what you need to add to his food "slurry" to help the lockjaw? You could do the hypo at the same time but it will have to be in a bare tank, with some Fake plants & tubes for him to hang out in.
library/hospital/qtine/
library/hospital/swich/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
oxgen1
Puffer Fry

Re: Porupine Puffer with Ich and suspected Lock-jaw Looking for second opinions on treatment.

Post by oxgen1 »

Thanks for the reply. I very happy to say that the ich was almost completely gone yesterday and I cannot see any today (With just water changes). And Better still he was able to eat 3 krill yesterday, and one and a half the day before. It was clearly difficult for him but he was able to manage smaller pieces but it seemed very painful for him to-do. I have the stuff to feed him a brineshimp&pre-mixed frozen canivour food but I am hoping it is not necessary. I am dosing the water with an iodine supplement and as soon as he's eating comfortably I will work hard to improve his diet. I have not had a chance to feed it yet but I also get a vitamin supplement I will be putting on his meal tonight. *Fingers Crossed* If you have any other suggestions on how I might help him work through his jaw problems I'd love to hear them.

Again Thanks!
oxgen1
Puffer Fry

Post by oxgen1 »

Another update, he ate a normal meal!!! I will work hard to try and get him on more variety but he turns his nose up for anything but krill.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yay, glad he's eating. Are you doing hypo?
You MUST get him off krill! It causes lockjaw in puffers, especially this species.
Kelly Jedlicki has articles on lockjaw.

library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/
library/feeding/problems-feeding-your-puffer/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

oxgen1
Puffer Fry

Post by oxgen1 »

I have not done hypo yet as I'm not sure if he actually has ich, I cannot tell if its ich or he has sand on him and I do not want to treat unless I'm sure of what it is. It's also impossible to see without the light in (even using a flashlight I cannot see it) and it was gone for a few days and then came back to I'm very confused.
oxgen1
Puffer Fry

Post by oxgen1 »

He ate a cooked steamer!! He's turned his nose up to so many other types of food (Squid, Shrimp, Bloodworms, other clams, Brine Shrimp) Will probably buy mussels to try next!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Fantastic! Do your best not to feed cooked foods though, it's difficult for them to digest. Are you soaking in garlic?

Powerpuff
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Usa

Post by Powerpuff »

What is lock jaw n how do you treat it. I think my puffer has it
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

What makes you think this? What species? What is the diet like? Probably best to start a new thread in the Hospital forum.