Does a lumpy stomach always mean internal parasites?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
eustoma
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Guam

Does a lumpy stomach always mean internal parasites?

Post by eustoma »

Hey guys, so I've had my dwarf puffer for about 3 weeks now and I noticed yesterday after feeding it that the right side of its stomach is actually a bit lumpy and weird looking. I was a bit paranoid when I first got it about it having parasites or even ich and monitored it closely. I even had a scare recently where I thought I saw worms sticking out of its stomach through its skin, but I think it may have just been substrate. The only reason I don't think my puffer has anything is because it has never shown signs of any sickness. It is always healthy and moving about the tank, always greets me when I enter the room, and eats pretty voraciously.

I am wondering if the lump could be related to stress or strong currents in the tank? I unfortunately broke my intake lily pipe a few days ago while trying to clean it and replaced it temporarily with a intake for a bigger filter I was planning on using for another tank, but it is much larger and so sucks in much more water and creates a stronger current in my tank. I have ordered another intake pipe but it will take a few more days to get here. The puffer seems fine and can handle the current but I wonder if it is putting unnecessary stress on the poor thing.

Could it be eggs? It seems like a female as it has developed a lot of tiny spots since I got it and it doesn't have a stripe underneath its belly and it does seem a bit larger than the males I've seen on youtube or in pictures. The bigger patterns on its body also does seem to have lightened a bit since I got it.

Is there anything I can do for it without putting it in any more stress? It doesn't actually seem too stressed, but I just want it to be happy and healthy.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Does a lumpy stomach always mean internal parasites?

Post by Pufferpunk »

It's food
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
eustoma
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Guam

Re: Does a lumpy stomach always mean internal parasites?

Post by eustoma »

Pufferpunk wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:56 amIt's food
But up until a few days ago its stomach was never lumpy even after I'd fed it. It was always a smooth round shape even if I overfed it and it looked like it was about to balloon up (which only happened once lol)