New to Forum; Need help with Green Spotted Puffer

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
RWalsh
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

New to Forum; Need help with Green Spotted Puffer

Post by RWalsh »

This is my 1st post to the forum, and let me say in advance that I appreciate that I appreciate everyone's help.
Just before Christmas we purchased a used 120 gallon, freshwater tank that was already stocked. There is a conglomeration of fish that don't seen to go together, but they are all coexisting without any fatalities. I will list the inhabitants of the tank at the bottom on the post.
The reason for my post today is probably our favorite fish in the tank, a small Green Spotted Puffer. We were told that the fish was 3.5-4 years old, but only measures just over 2" long. I didn't take him out to measure him because I didn't want him to puff up, but we got him over to the side of the tank and measured him that way. All of us have been researching different sources on the internet to try to find out what we should be doing for him, but there are many differing opinions. I stumbled upon your forum and everyone seemed to be very knowledgeable and conscientious.

Here are my questions:
1. Could his growth have been stunted by either leaving him in freshwater all of his life or by possibly not being fed correctly when he was young?
2. We are concerned about his feeding schedule. We are reading that juveniles need to be fed every day, but that as they get older that you can cut that down some. Even though he is so small, is he considered a mature fish? How should we be feeding him? We have even setup a 5 gallon tank to try to breed some snails so we can stop going to PetSmart to ask for theirs.
3. We are also reading that because of how aggressive the GS Puffer can be that they should be in a specimen only tank, burs seems very docile and I can't imagine him hurting anyone. Should he be moved by himself? I know that the recommended minimum tank size is at least 30 gallons, but I have a 20 gallon that I am cycling to try to start a saltwater tank. If he needs to be moved, could I use that tank since he is so small?

Tank Mates:
Blood Parrots x 2
Black Convicts x 2
African Leaf Fish
Angel Fish x 3
Electric Blue Acara
Black Skirt Tatra x 7
Tire Track Eel
Black Ghost Knife
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New to Forum; Need help with Green Spotted Puffer

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Wow, you do have a very odd mix of interesting fish in there! I'm quite surprised the puffer isn't terrorizing all of them.
library/puffers-in-focus/an-introductio ... d-puffers/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RWalsh
Puffer Fry

Post by RWalsh »

I have read that they would normally harass their tank mates. We were just assuming that he is leaving them alone because he is so small. With the exception of the Tetras, he is the smallest thing in the tank.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

He's still an adult though. You asked about his size because he's in FW. You are correct, I'd assume that's why. Are you planning on moving him to BW?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

RWalsh
Puffer Fry

Post by RWalsh »

That was one of my questions. He seems happy where he is, but everything that I have read says that he will live longer in BW. I have a 20 gallon tank that is almost cycled with SW that I don't think would be hard to switch to BW. Is that tank big enough for hi with his size? Will he be happy to move to move from such a large tank? What is your opinion?
Also, how often should we be feeding him?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Minimum size for a GSP is 30g, although they'd be happier in a 55g.

RWalsh
Puffer Fry

Post by RWalsh »

Since he is an adult, how often and how much should we be feeding him?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

6 days/week