GSP temporarily in 10gallons?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Joseph Pepe
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Poland

GSP temporarily in 10gallons?

Post by Joseph Pepe »

Hello everyone!
I'm new to this forum because I just couldn't find an answer to my question related to GSP.
I currently have 4 established tanks, A 50gallon, 2 35 Gallons and a 15 Gallon (newt tank). I also use a 10 gallon as a quaratine tank for any newly purchased or ill fish and have an 8 gallon snail breeder.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that's enough about me for now. So the question I could not find an answer to was:
How long can I keep a juvenile GSP in a 10 gallon freshwater setup?

So here's the story: One of my 2 35 gallons is pretty much empty. So I was thinking what to do with it. My other 35 gallon has 2 figure 8 puffers in brackish conditions with a salinity of 1.005, as i've managed to keep plants in very healthy conditions in that salinity and read mostly everywhere that they require low end to medium brackish enviroments. Those 2 figure 8's have been with me for about 6 months now and I've absolutely been captivated by pufferfish. So I was looking into which species of puffer I could also keep in a 35 gallon. A wide choice but sadly I don't live in an area where I have a wide choice of puffers available. It took me over a month of going to every possible store to find anyone that could even order figure 8 puffers, in and outside of my area.
However, I knew GSP were available in a store nearby me. I've seen them stock a couple every now and then, they overall keep their fish very healthy and I make most of my purchases there. So I brought home a GSP (about 3cm / 1.2inches) which was kept in freshwater at the store.

So it's been living in my 10gallon quarantine tank, freshwater, for now. All is very well with the fish but I'm wondering how long it could stay in there under freshwater conditions. (been in there for 2 weeks now, no signs of bad health) Considering it's been healthy so far and will pretty much live on it's own anyway, should I move it up to the 35 gallon as we speak and start making the change to brackish water? I've read in some sources that Juvenile GSP start in freshwater - move up to brackish - end up in marine. Is this true?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP temporarily in 10gallons?

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"