Dog face puffers - midnight vs yellowbelly

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
Neptune 555
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Dog face puffers - midnight vs yellowbelly

Post by Neptune 555 »

I am interested in adding a dog face puffer to my reef. I like the midnight dog face puffer and the yellowbelly dog face puffer. I have a few questions as I am getting prepared for my new addition!

* Are their differences in tank requirements for these two puffers? LA / Saltwaterfish.com indicates that the midnight species can survive in a 100 gallon tank and the yellowbelly needs a 75 gallon minimum sized tank? As they seem the same species it seems odd?
* What Is the temperament for each of these fish? I am placing them in a tank with tangs / hali
wrasse / flame angel / I am thinking of adding a trigger fish.
* Can either of these dog face puffers cohabitate with a blue spotted puffer?
* I have a reef now - will some of my coral be able to survive? my blue spotted puffer does not bother any of my coral? I am only concerned with keeping my xenia / leather coral / mushrooms.
* What size do these fish become?

thanks! I currently have a 75 gallon reef and looking to upgrade to a 6 foot tank with 125 / 150 / 180.

Thanks! I am so glad I found this site!

Neptune
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dog face puffers - midnight vs yellowbelly

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
I wouldn't trust ANY puffer with your coral, although best success has been with the sharpnosed-species. I do think though that the corals you have mentioned taste bad & might be safe. I also wouldn't think your smaller puff would be safe with the larger one. Best to keep either of these dogfaced in a minimum of 100g.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"