Pao palembangensis (Dragon / Humpback) food on a string

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...
Location (country): USA

Pao palembangensis (Dragon / Humpback) food on a string

Post by StinkyPete »

Today, I was curious to see if I could do something new and easier than live guppies and feeder minnows.

Mission:
** Use the thawed out shrimp that I feed to my other puffers with the picky Pao palembangensis (but with a catch).

I took out some junk drawer fishing line.
I then poked a hole in the thawed out shrimp with skewer and slipped a knotted end through the meat.

It worked. The Pao palembangensis went for it.
The line was intact too. I was worried he/she may cut it while biting the shrimp meat.

I guess we just have to make it look alive and get smarter than yesterday.

The leftover meat chunk got retrieved and fed to my other puffers who eat it all the time without issue.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Pao palembangensis (Dragon / Humpback) food on a string

Post by Pufferpunk »

I need to get moving on this for my baby fahaka puffer. Right now, all he will eat is live earthworms.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: (Pea puffers),T. schoutedeni, P. Turgidus, P. palembangensis, Random target puffer, cutcuia, palustris...

Post by StinkyPete »

Pufferpunk wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:54 pm I need to get moving on this for my baby fahaka puffer. Right now, all he will eat is live earthworms.
I have a few ideas up my sleeve.
My schoutedeni didn't know what to do with thawed shrimp.
If I soak the shrimp in their staple favorite (thawed blood worms), then feed them the shrimp I suspect it will smell like that weird blood worm smell and they may go for it.

Pufferpunk, see if you can get a new food source all stinky with something soaked in a cup of those worms like the fahaka is used too.

#2.
Turn the filters down first, then maybe even use a diced worm dish slowly lowered to the bottom with small chunks of a new food. It may work.

My mother feeds the old dogs with chunks of canned special food with some crushed pills of some calcium or some other deficiency specific thing.
I always think of where the heck these puffers we bring home came from and what they were chasing around all evening or morning for food.

There is a guy from Japan kind enough to show us where our freshwater gobies come from and dunks the camera in the water to see them right after he pans around the general area of the forest and stream.

Anyways, thanks for any tips.
I knew about dwarf puffs, but had no idea about the Poa, Tetroadon and more until last year when google led me here as a lurker.
:grats:
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers

Post by pufferjw »

If you want a fishing line that even something like a Mbu couldn't break, use a 200lb 1.4 monofilament, I like Bullbuster's the best. It can even withstand an 11 foot hammerhead
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think my baby fahaka was just new to these foods. Got him to gorge himself on a bouncing shrimp soaked in garlic & vitamins!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
StinkyPete
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by StinkyPete »

Pufferpunk wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:15 pm I think my baby fahaka was just new to these foods. Got him to gorge himself on a bouncing shrimp soaked in garlic & vitamins!
I just read this:

The Puffer Library
III. Feeder Fish – The Pros and Cons

"Goldfish and rosy red minnows can be easy to breed, but they suffer from being high in the chemical thiaminase. They must not be used as the staple diet, because over time they will prevent the predatory fish from having enough vitamin B1, which will cause serious health problems. The muscles, bones, and nerves appear to be most seriously affected".

Question:
Are there any quick tips with silversides (frozen fish pack)?

San Francisco Bay Brand Silversides 8 oz
$9.99 nearby·In stock

I will stop the rosy reds now that I came across this new-to-me puffer forum library read.
It seems like I have a decent amount of keyword searches for google and the forums.

By the way, thanks for the good read. :grats:
I'm going to go the route of silversides and keep trying the bouncing shrimp soaked in Vitachem.
I'm also about to open a few tabs on what the garlic soak is all about.

Any last words regarding possible dirty frozen fish & disease or any notes are appreciated.

I have two palembangensis.
One is shy, the other is quite the puppydog.

They are a beautiful fish.
Thank for the tips along this journey.