Clean-up crew for brackish water

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
lisalisa

Post by lisalisa »

As I warned in another thread, there are snails often labeled Olive Nerites that do well in SW, that eat corals like it's their job. Just FYI, in case any fellow reefers see them. :shock:
Toadman Z
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Toadman Z »

I've also read about Japanese Trapdoor snails. I've heard that a lot of FW people like them because they only reproduce in BW. That way you never have your tank over-run (not a problem for puffer folk). As their name suggests they also have a opercula (sp?) like MTS, which might help keep them safe from puffs?
I guess I've always kinda thought snails in a puffer tank would end up as food or harassed to death.

Anyone have any experience with these?
Snausy
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Snausy »

I like my SG to change just a tiny bit each water-change to try and simulate a brackish environment. Right now it's 1.013(according to my crap hydrometer)

Thanks for the info RTR and you are quite right, they are very defensive in that way. I find them upside-down all the time and help em out as exposing themselves to try to get up-righted at that point is danger-ville! They do have an olive/brown color.

I have two 2" fig8's and they are interested but that's about it. I think they've gotten one or two as it was upside-down and was trying to get turned over.

I still need a good digital camera. :oops:

The latest addition is the butis butis who is quite a tough guy, comes right to the front of the glass to stare back at me. I like his chameleon style and he's very interesting to look at. Can't wait till he gets bigger as he's only 2" now.

I don't figure the few bumblebee gobies will last very long with him around. In fact his belly is very large as I look at him now :roll:

I do wonder if anyone is keeping a butis butis with their fig8 puffers and how they are doing together as adults?
100gal Seaclear(86 actual gallons... LIARS!)
1 Australian Harlequin Tusk, 1 dogface puffer, various damsels...
Phaedrus
Former Staff Member

Post by Phaedrus »

butis butis are not good tank makes. When it gets larger it will probably try to eat the F8s, and will probably die trying.
Snausy
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Snausy »

ack... :shock:

That's too bad. I like him. But we all know that if it's a choice between a couple puffs and a butis butis... the puffs stay. 8)
100gal Seaclear(86 actual gallons... LIARS!)
1 Australian Harlequin Tusk, 1 dogface puffer, various damsels...
Feathers&Fins
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Pufferless since Nova passed; had 2 red T.miuris, 4 T.biocellatus for many years.
Location (country): KY (USA)

Post by Feathers&Fins »

If you would like to aquire some Nerites, I highly recommend purchasing them from John and Shelley at Florida Pets. They are great people to work with. They regularly collect Virgin Nerites (and lots of other specimens) to sell via their website. They also have amazingly low shipping costs for those of us in the eastern states. John has shown interest in providing stock for Brackish systems but I don't think he has had very many requests. Would anyone else be interested?
Phaedrus
Former Staff Member

Post by Phaedrus »

I would be interested! If they'd survive shipping to canada that is...
Puzz
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Sri Lanka

Re: Clean-up crew for brackish water

Post by Puzz »

What about scats?? Have anyone tried them? I heard that theyre a good clean up crew and does it well... i have 6 ceylon puffer fish and a baby scat... also a milkspot puffer too 😁❤️
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Clean-up crew for brackish water

Post by Pufferpunk »

Scats are the "Oscar" of the BW/SW world. They will eventually grow the size of a dinner plate & will eat everything *(especially plants) & poop a TON! Requires SW as an adult. As will your other fish.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"