C. irrubescos starting to be available

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Seven T. schoutedeni
Location (country): US

C. irrubescos starting to be available

Post by astrid37 »

I'm starting to see irrubescos available! Wonder if this means that they will be back for good? Are others noticing the same?
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): UK

Re: C. irrubescos starting to be available

Post by NJD »

My lfs got 15 in last week. Still no schoutedeni though :(
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Post by gkai »

I hope they will get to Belgium. Not seen them online yet, but sometimes they are available in shop wihout it being anounced....:-/
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

That's exciting that they got in 15! I saw 8 available online this week.

NJD, I don't know of a good Schoutedeni contact in the UK. I wish I could help!
AdamSafi
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Also kept:
Schoutedeni Puffer
Fahaka Puffer
Green Spotted Puffer
Dwarf Pea Puffer
Figure 8 Puffer
Dragon Puffer
Hairy Puffer
Target Puffer
Red eyed red tail Puffer
Red eyed Puffer
Congo Puffer
Location (country): Delaware, USA

Post by AdamSafi »

Yeah they are finally becoming available lol I just ordered 3, I have always wanted one
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by NJD »

Thanks Astrid, I may just be in luck, one of my most trusted LFS called me today to say that there was some captive bred schoutedenis on their supply list!! they are going to call me back with a price...here's hoping!! I have a 500L ready for a group of them...

interesting that they are captive bred...
NJD
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by NJD »

On another note I did buy a small group of irrubescos from them, they are v quickly becoming one of my fave puffers, real characters. My experience is that it takes a few weeks for puffers to settle in, but these from day 1 swim to the front of the tank to beg for food literally the second I walk in the room. They also have amazing patterns. I was lucky to get 1 male with 5 females by chance. highly recommend :-)
astrid37
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by astrid37 »

That's great to know about the irrubescos' personalities! I thought they were much more aggressive than that, very neat that you were able to get 6 all happily in one tank.

Good luck with the schoutedeni group. I have 6 juveniles in a 125g and 1 adult in a 55g, and they are my favorites for sure. One of the juveniles in the 125 is captive bred in the US and the other 5 in there are wild caught. The adult in the 55g is also wild caught. It's been very interesting to see the differences between them. I don't know if it's just the wild caught group that I got, but the captive bred schoutedeni is much more personable and comes to the glass when I come into the room. The other 5 in the 125g tend to stay in the areas they have staked out as their territories and don't hang out much with each other or with me. The adult in the 55g is my girl and is also personable, but I think she's also happier because she's alone. She did not like it when I tried to give her another schoutedeni tankmate.

I think that there is at least one person in Germany who has been doing captive bred schoutedeni for awhile now. I'm hoping that mine eventually produce some offspring. I think it would be great to be able to get a supply of captive bred instead of wild caught. If you do end up getting a group, I'm sure you already know this, but I'd highly recommend a very heavily planted and lots of river rock. Mine definitely go after each other if there is line of sight, not with intent to injure, just asserting territory. They get even more vigilant at mealtime, but again, no injuries. I think I'm at max capacity with the 6 in the 125g based on the size of the territories each has claimed, and especially as they are still young juveniles.
FoxPuffer88
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by FoxPuffer88 »

Good to hear that irrubescos are hopefully starting to be available. I know there was discussion on a puffer FB group about how exoticfishshop dot com had a small handful of them in stock, as well as at least one LFS in the UK. The scarcity of red-eyes ,especially irrubesco, has been frustrating for me and I'm sure many others. They are native to Sumatra, and I have no idea why they've been so difficult to get out of there (exotic species ban? instability in the region they come from? pollution? anyone know?). Hopefully American retailers will start seeing them, soon. As one of the few (sort of) community-safe puffers it seems like a no-brainer to try to get irrubescos out there.