Help with ID?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
MOGUERA
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Help with ID?

Post by MOGUERA »

I work at an LFS that deals with nano fish and planted tanks, so I don't know a lot about puffers aside from dwarfs and fish I'm personally interested in. I have been trying for years to find a red-eye puffer for myself, and this week one of our suppliers listed Carinotetraodon lorteti. After some research, I decided that was close enough for me, and ordered two, intending to pick my favorite and find a good home for the other. Now that they've arrived, I think they were mis-identified. My best guess right now is that these are Palembang?

I only have photos of one, as the other is more actively avoiding me right now. This one is quite yellow, and the other is more of an olive green/earthy color. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Help with ID?

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
You have a fairly rare puffer there!
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=28651
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

Yep, those are Tetraodon Palembangensis. I'd personally recommend separating them... they MAY be able to coexist in a large tank (90+ gallons) that's heavily planted, but you'd be much better off with keeping them in their own tanks, preferably 40-55 gallons each.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer
MOGUERA
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Post by MOGUERA »

Thanks for the advice! I had them in separate tanks already. I've added snails and a few guppy fry to each tank for food. I'm pretty on the fence about whether or not I'll set up one of my personal tanks to keep one, but I will do my utmost to ensure they end up with someone who takes their care seriously. I got them for super cheap so I may pass them on to a store that specializes in larger fish.
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

That's great, it's nice to know that there are fish stores that cares. They probably won't eat snails, but it's worth a shot. If you do choose to keep one long term, for a more sustainable diet than just guppies you can buy a bag of frozen shrimp at Whole Foods for like $20 that will last at least a couple months.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer