upgrading Ollie to 300 gallon tank!

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
olliesworld
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Ollie, Wally and Paulie - Fahaka Puffers in separate massive tanks
Location (country): USA

upgrading Ollie to 300 gallon tank!

Post by olliesworld »

Hi everyone, I just wanted to check in and say hi from a fellow Fahaka fan. My Ollie is in a 180 gallon and a few weeks ago we set up a 300 gallon for him. It is cycling with guppies and plants for the past few weeks.
Ollie has grown to about nine inches in the first year I have had him. He seems happy in the 180 but I had the chance to get a very affordable 300 gallon clean tank from a friend, so why not?
I have two other Fahaka who I bought on the same day, from the same group of tiny fry, they all received the same care, same (individual) tank size, but they are both under half the size of Ollie. Male vs female thing?
Or did Ollie just grow so fast because he is the only one who is non-picky and eats - literally- anything I offer him (her) from the long tweezers? Very different personalities!
Thanks in advance for input!
ollie august 2017.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ollie- Fahaka puffer. I am wrapped around his fin!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: upgrading Ollie to 300 gallon tank!

Post by Pufferpunk »

That's great news! But, unless you have about 300 guppies in there, it's not going to create enough bacteria to support the mass of your large puffer. I suggest using Tetra Safestart.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Just move substrate and filter media to the 300 for an almost instant cycle
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
olliesworld
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Ollie, Wally and Paulie - Fahaka Puffers in separate massive tanks
Location (country): USA

Post by olliesworld »

Thanks- sorry hadn't logged in here for awhile- I did move preconditioned filter media from my other tanks into the two big cannister filters, added Fluval cycle bio-booster weekly and waited a month with the guppies and plants cycling the tank until all parameters were just right. I used the carib sea eco-complete substrate in the back with the plants and then sand in front in Ollie's nesting area (he/she likes to dive into it). All has been well since the transfer. Just moved my smaller Fahaka puffer, Paulie, up into the 185 gallon. Photos on insta "olliethepufferfish". Thanks PufferPunk and everyone else for all the tips on this forum to get us going!
Ollie- Fahaka puffer. I am wrapped around his fin!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

I wouldn't have waited that month. Unfortunately, the guppies will never produce the bioload of a Fahaka & with all that added bacteria you put in there, most of it would have died off with only leaving enough to support those guppies. Be sure to keep a close eye on the parameters. Best thing you have going for you is the dilution of 300g.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"