Dwarf puffer questions.

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Dracocain77
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Kansas

Dwarf puffer questions.

Post by Dracocain77 »

Im new to puffers and have a few questions. Here is my setup. I have a 55 gallon tank with a pvc cave background. My filter is a renna xp3 filter. Going with a pool sand substrate. Plan on adding Driftwood and heavly planting the tank. Also plan on frogbit for the surface. Was wondering how many dwarf puffers I can keep in my tank. And will they eat scuds. Was planning on setting up a snail and scud tank to keep a steady food source. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I like to research before I buy. Thanks
Puffer-Finatic
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Mississauga, Canada

Re: Dwarf puffer questions.

Post by Puffer-Finatic »

General rule for stocking DPs is 5 gallons per puffer.
In terms of scaping, you seem to have the bases covered.

Snail farming is as easy as it gets (especially with bladder/pest snails, which LFS will usually give for free if you ask). Have a small tank 5-10 gallon setup (bare bottom, sponge filter, some java moss, and heater) and keep the snails well fed.
Keep up with feedings, water changes, and tank maintenance, and the snails will overpopulate the tank in no time.
Scuds if you can find them (used to buy mine from aquatic culture stores along with some daphnia), aren't that much different in terms of care like I mentioned for the bladder snails. They behave very much like shrimp, and feed off basically anything from fish food to vegetative matter like: algae, plant trimmings, small pieces of veg ie: spinach, zucchini, squash, as well as biofilm. In fact you can actually house these in the same tank with the snails, and they'll flourish.
Last edited by Puffer-Finatic on Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Dwarf puffer questions.

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"