Filter(s) for 29 gallon figure 8 tank - Help!

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
LexaCG
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Maryland, United States

Filter(s) for 29 gallon figure 8 tank - Help!

Post by LexaCG »

I apologize if this is easy to find the answer to, I've been reading the forum for days and haven't settled on anything.

I'm looking to set up a 29 gallon figure 8 tank (1 f8, bbgs). I've got argonite substrate, adjustable heater, decor for hiding and im going to give live plants a shot but will do silk as back up (my lfs has the bbgs in freshwater so it will start as a fresh water then be converted to the sg the store has the f8 at slloowwllyy for the sake of the cycle and plants, instant cycle with bacteria, not with bbgs).

So the actual question. What filter do I get? I'd rather not do a canister. I have read that multiple are better than individual and my goal is a combined turnover of 10x my tank (so let's say at least 260 with decor displacement? ). Can I do 2 internal filters? Which ones do people have success with? I've seen some with a spray bar, is that good in case I get an f8 who isn't a fan of current?

I could keep going but that's enough! Thanks so much!

Edit - Sound is a factor, I'd love it to be as quiet as a tank can be!

Edit 2 - what about this? https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01C8PH0 ... PDKIKX0DER
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: Filter(s) for 29 gallon figure 8 tank - Help!

Post by Iliveinazoo »

I've not used that filter so can't really comment, The only internal filter that I've used was a Fluval on my old Mudskipper tank but unfortunately I can't remember the model. It was a decent unit and did run quiet enough to be housed in my bedroom.

I am not trying to persuade you to go canister over internal but the reason that I prefer cannisters is that they increase your tank water volume rather than reduce it, they house more filter media, they don't clog up with mulm as quick and when your suction cups no longer stick to the aquarium glass you've only got a couple of pipes sticking out at angles rather than a wonky filter or a knocking sound on your glass.

I prefer spray bars to a single output because you can adjust the angle to ripple the water surface and hence increase the oxygen transfer between the air and the water column. If you are going for 2 filters why not have one single output and one spray bar?

You don't 'need' two filters but having 2 does give an element of redundancy if one fails and you can also adjust the inlets and outlets to create a more dynamic flow around the tank and help to reduce dead spots where algae can take hold.
LexaCG
Puffer Fry

Post by LexaCG »

Thanks for replying.

So even if I do go canister, you'd still suggest running 2 filters. It's the cost that's getting to to me which is why nothing is set up yet, might as well do it right even if it means staring at an empty tank.

Would a penn plax canister be ok? Looks like the 1000 would provide the right gph turnover even though reviews say it's overkill and they have it on 150 gallon tanks, but messy puffers, I know.

Thanks again
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Post by hadla »

Aquaclear filters are great, but can be a little pricey and I'm not sure how quiet it'll be. If you get one, use amazon for it and all the filter media. A lot cheaper than any store! :)
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Or Ebay
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Post by Iliveinazoo »

LexaCG wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:24 pm Thanks for replying.

So even if I do go canister, you'd still suggest running 2 filters. It's the cost that's getting to to me which is why nothing is set up yet, might as well do it right even if it means staring at an empty tank.

Would a penn plax canister be ok? Looks like the 1000 would provide the right gph turnover even though reviews say it's overkill and they have it on 150 gallon tanks, but messy puffers, I know.

Thanks again
I've never used a Penn plax canister but if it works it works - a canister is just a bucket with filter media, a pump and a lid. All I'd say is try to take the lid on and off a couple of times before using and at the first water change so that you can take it back to the shop if it's flimsy or breaks or doesn't seal easily.

I had only the one filter running on my tank for ages before I got around to getting a second. A second fully sized filter does give piece of mind and allow for the higher turnover but you don't need to go that way, you could get a simple and cheap air driven filter that you could keep on hand in the event that your main canister failed. You would transfer the media from your canister onto the air driven filter and that would house a certain amount of nitrification bacteria which could tide you by until a weekend where you could go an buy a replacement filter.
PYRU
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): USA

Post by PYRU »

I personally would run hob's on a tank under 55g. Maintenance is a lot easier. The best hob's imo are fluval c series (I used the c4's). It's a hob that has a built in wet/dry portion (great biological) along with mechanical. If your dead set on a canister check out eBay and sun sun canisters. They're good for being a cheaper canister. A sponge run off an air pump is easy on the pocket book for a secondary.

I would most definitely run enough filtration for a 55-60g tank.
Bleedingheartmommy
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Honey (SIP Cantaloupe): C. Travancoricus
Mad Max: P. Cochinchinensis
Apollo: T. Miurus
(SIP Bonnie) Clyde: C. Irrubesco
SIP Orchid
Location (country): USA-Seattle, WA

Post by Bleedingheartmommy »

What about an aquaclear 70 HOB (rated for a 50-60 gal tank) and a sponge filter? Sponge filters are great for redundancy in biological and mechanical filtration! I use the ATI hydro sponge as secondary's for all my tanks, (they really are better then the rest and cost the same) Just another option is all :) my aquaclear cost 49$ after tax at petco, and my ATI hydro sponge was only a few $$ on the AAP website (OR only $13 for a kit with: a Rio pump, the filter, tubing, and diffusers and comes with a small bottle of Seachem prime!) So spend the good money on your primary, and save on the sponge as a secondary!

Plus if you need to move puffer to a hospital tank you just move the sponge filter into the tank and bam- no worries for cycling (which usually negates any good the medication is doing by subjecting the puffer to the stress of Amonia etc)!
"Genetics loads the gun, and environment pulls the trigger."-Brené Brown
LexaCG
Puffer Fry

Post by LexaCG »

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm still totally overwhelmed and undecided but it was great to hear what other people are doing.
I'll update when I've finally picked one!