F8 tank: Eheim filter dimensions, and 1 or 2 filters?

Got any home remedies or DIY projects? Share them here!
Problems with your tank's equipment? We can help!
Minipuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 5 dwarf puffers
Location (country): Norway

F8 tank: Eheim filter dimensions, and 1 or 2 filters?

Post by Minipuff »

Hi!

I'm slowly planning my new F8 tank (2-3 F8s with BBGs and possibly try some other tank mates), to be set up early next year. I will by a custom made tank of 200 litres +/-, measuring something like L 110-130 cm, B 40-50 cm, H max 40 cm. I really like my Eheim filters, and consider the Eheim professional 4+ series (https://www.eheim.com/en_GB/node/6251) for this tank. My question is: What would you recommend: one large filter, or two smaller filters? And in each case - which dimensions? I could go with e.g. one EHEIM professionel 4+ 600, or two EHEIM professionel 4+ 250 and/or 350. What would you do? Thanks :)
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: F8 tank: Eheim filter dimensions, and 1 or 2 filters?

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Personally if I had the space and a sufficient number of power outlets then I'd go for 2 filters with a combined turnover rate of 10x the tank volume per hour.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I agree with the above. I would also go with 2, depends on the area you have to work with. Been playing with the small yet amazing eheim eccos for some time and love those, you could fit many in a small space and really tailor flow, plus have different media in each (after pads of course). It's great you have still got time to plan this, with eheim filters you can plan for a forever setup.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Minipuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 5 dwarf puffers
Location (country): Norway

Post by Minipuff »

Thanks for your replies - I will check out the eccos too. Currently thinking that one each of the Eheim prof 4+ 250 and 350 would be sufficient, and also better than one single filter when thinking long term (in case I won't need that strong filtration later on, while "needing" more "smallish" tanks, hehe.....).
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

You can whip some media out of those to seed other tanks lol. That would be a good way to go. Look at some spares to ( 90 degree bends etc) so you can set them up neatly and tailor your flow perfectly
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly