Fahaka Puffer Breeding?

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
powerfulthoughtz
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Buffalo, NY USA

Fahaka Puffer Breeding?

Post by powerfulthoughtz »

I have had puffers in the past and obtained 3 fahaka puffers from my lfs 3 months ago. Two are about the same size and then the last one is probably twice the size of the other two. It is very much rounder than the two smaller ones as well. This bigger, rounder one has been acting weird when I noticed it staying at the bottom. I was fearing disease or depression and have been keeping a closer eye on it and noticed that one of the smaller ones keeps laying on top of the big one which is at the bottom.

So, the bigger one is doing every thing it was doing before, just looking kind of lazy nowadays and just stays at the bottom if it isn't looking for food. The thing is, one of the smaller ones is staying at top of the bigger one. Looking like it is just laying on top of the bigger one.

I do not think they are breeding although the smaller one is being very territorial as to lash out at the other smaller one when it gets close to these two. Also, I am assuming the other one is lashing out at the bigger one when they are all on the hunt, basically making the bigger one flee to the other side of the tank when they hunt the ghost shrimp when I feed them.

Any idea on what is going on with these three and why the two are laying with each other?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Fahaka Puffer Breeding?

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pufferjkb
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada -Halifax, NS

Post by pufferjkb »

How do fahakas breed in the wild without killing each other?
powerfulthoughtz
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Buffalo, NY USA

Post by powerfulthoughtz »

Hey, Thanks a lot for the feed back....

I have read the comments and was watching these lil guys... I believe the big puffer is in fact, a female puffer... with that being said, I have noticed her changing color frequently, mostly a darkish black hue and probably has temperament of what is described to be a female lololol (just kidding)... but i have also noticed her variation in sizes (like mentions of them laying eggs and all)... my main was wondering in why the smaller one lays on top of her (literally)... with that being said, i understand that i need to get a bigger tank because a 29 gallon is going to just create problems with the habitat... I will soon be updating with a new 75 gallon (or more) in the upcoming future lol.... thanks again for the information, i really appreciate it!!
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Post by pokeystar »

pufferjkb wrote:How do fahakas breed in the wild without killing each other?
carefully
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Scientists are not sure how they breed in the wild without killing each other. It's survival of the fittest, for sure!

I wouldn't be attempting this at all. Eventually, you will wind up with 0 puffers. How large is the tank? Is it HEAVILY decorated? Do each fish have their own cave territory? In spite of all this--even if you do--it will end badly, I guarantee you. :(
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

Neri123
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Armenia

Post by Neri123 »

I think it's because of the size of the tank.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

That won't matter for long...