Fahaka - strange "infection" in tail

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: .
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's
Location (country): Holland

Fahaka - strange "infection" in tail

Post by KorrepZ »

Hi Guys,

Since a few days my Fahaka Yoda is having a strange infection-like thing on its tail. He also stopped eating since yesterday and is just laying in his corner, clearly not feeling well.

Does anybody know which medicine i could use best to treat this? He has been my companion for over 9 years and has never been sick before.

I checked my water parameters, all is fine. Still did a small water change just before i left for work today. He lives in a 600 liter tank with about 10 little leopard danios to keep him active.

Master Yoda the Fahaka and Manny the Mantis Shrimp! - R.I.P R2 & 3PO (F8), Luke (dwarf), Snips (Ceylon) and Obi 1-3 (Valentini)

Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: Fahaka - strange "infection" in tail

Post by Iliveinazoo »

Looks more like a parasite to me - maybe an anchor worm?
I'm not sure what the best form of treatment would be - maybe something like Lice-solve?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Almost looks like a tumor of some kind. Be sure to keep the parameters pristine. May need surgery on this.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's

Post by KorrepZ »

Eeek, surgery. I dont know if there is such a person in the netherlands.

It really looks as if his flesh is rotting or something. I hope things will turn out ok.
Master Yoda the Fahaka and Manny the Mantis Shrimp! - R.I.P R2 & 3PO (F8), Luke (dwarf), Snips (Ceylon) and Obi 1-3 (Valentini)

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

You would have to knock the fish out with MS-222 & cut it off with a razor blade.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's

Post by KorrepZ »

Oh dear, that sounds intense.

Any idea at what point i should consider trying such as thing? I'd image first try some sort of medicine first and operate as a last measure. Like with humans....

Been trying to get a better view of his tail and it looks like just one "nerve" (one of the thick stripes which he uses to open en close his tailfin) of his tail got swollen and kind of rotting.

I would like to try something first without surgery so he can try and heal on his own? Still have no clue what to use tho, should I try MELAFIX first?

grup
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA, Florida

Post by grup »

Can you provide better images of the tail area ?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Melafix isn't going to touch this.

KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's

Post by KorrepZ »

Finally today Yoda decided to swim around a bit so I could take a photo of both sides of his tail. He is always wild so always hard to take a clear photo but here are two.

He is still not touching his food tho....

The unaffected right side

The affected right side

eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

in your last picture, it looks "less bad" than in your first picture in the opening post
to me, it looks like an infection, not a parasite
a better picture would be helpful
pristine water, Melafix, and an antibiotic would be my inclination
increase aeration when using Melafix
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

It does look bacterial. Add 1 tbsp salt/10g. Try Kanaplex.

KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's

Post by KorrepZ »

Yeah it looks worse when he wraps his tail. When he waves it out its a better view.

Ok, i'll start with the salt. Just found out its a b*tch to order Melafix or Kanaplex in the Netherlands. Nothing but webshops from the States sell it.

pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

Post by pokeystar »

KorrepZ wrote:Just found out its a b*tch to order Melafix or Kanaplex in the Netherlands. Nothing but webshops from the States sell it.
I buy it in Ireland in the LFS easy enough. I did a quick search on ebay under European Union selllers and theres plant closer to home than the states. The kanaplex looks like it would be a USA order though!
KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's

Post by KorrepZ »

Melafix It on its way. But the order may take up to 5 october, a week from now. Meanwhile Yoda's condition is getting worse and worse. He does not eat, gettin thinner and the meat around the wound is gettin white. I also think the Syno, his tankmate who is always hiding under wood, is now feeding from the wound. I saw him nipping at Yoda his tail the other day. Today Yoda is clearly deathbed-like. Just laying around and you can literally see the fish-bone of his tail.

Getting very worried now. While waiting for the Melafix, which will probably not arrive in time, I turned to eSHa 2000, hoping this will help.

KorrepZ
Green Spotted Puffer
1 Fahaka
1 Ceylon
1 Valentini
1 Dwarf
1 Mantis Shrimp
R.I.P. 2 F8's

Post by KorrepZ »

My god. I just threw a buckload of eSHa in the tank 1 hour ago and now my girlfriend tells me she forgot the mention the Melafix arrived this afternoon when i was at work.

Can i use Melafix along with the eSHA?