Brittle stars

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
Ayre
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Brittle stars

Post by Ayre »

I am setting up my 150g to house either a dog face or porc. Before I get my puffer I have to set up my 40g for some geriatric fin friends I have. I am so torn as to what to do with my brittle star! I fear she will be too cramped in the 40g. I even asked on wet web media and the guy who answered said it would be too small too. I am trying so hard to get hubby to let me get a 75g for her before we set up the 40g.
On one hand I know my fish. I have had her for 10 years. I think she would be fine in the 40 as long as she had her cave and a tall structure to 'drape' over. I am agoraphobic and know what it is like to be closed in. If I thought for one second my star would not be happy I w ouldnt do it. After 10 years you get really attached. But then I think...but maybe I don't know what is best for her after all and being stingy. I won't get a puffer until I am sure my geriatrics are stable in another tank. I have not bought a fish in 3 years just letting my guys live their lives happy. My 250 looks empty with 2 clown fish hiding behind a rock a star fish in a cave. But I love them very much.
Did I mention my brittle star is 22" inches..lol.
She was a hitch hiker on a piece of rock when I first got into marine fishes. She was 2 inches then. She lets me know when she is hungry and eats fish off of a shish ka Bob stick, lol.
I think she would be fine in the 40. She ain't active. She likes her cave and running. Am I being insensitive? Should I just wait and let her live out her life?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Brittle stars

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think she should be fine in there, as long as the parameters are the same. I am the same with my fish & other creatures.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Ayre
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

Post by Ayre »

Sorry for the typos the tank I have is 150 not 250. And thank you for the sentiments regarding my brittle. I am probably as attached to her as people their puffers :) she is HUGE#!
I think she will be fine. I just worry too much...lol
I found the articles on breeding food for puffers!!! I am going to start asap!
Toeykill
Puffer Fry
Location (country): 456

Post by Toeykill »

I have read all about it. I am sure this is for the good and benefit the most.