GSP single or pair? + Brackish Plants?

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka aka Mr Big Puff
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle
My children name the fish
Location (country): Ireland

GSP single or pair? + Brackish Plants?

Post by pokeystar »

So I went to the local pet shop to pick up antiseptic for a dog paw and came home with a GSP. There were three in a tank incredibly skinny and a quick conversation with the fish guy there indicated that he knew nothing of puffer fish "great fresh water fish, lives on blood worms, no their not skinny etc"

I brought one home immediately, its currently housed in a FW 50ltr quarantine tank I have with a cannister filter that I run for quick set ups. Keeping a close eye on parameters and little fellow being fed twice a day half a cockle, small amount of vitamin enriched blood worm.

I have access to a 280 liter and a 110ltr that are currently unused so I will set one up in the coming days I have two questions

I see others keeping GSP's in pairs how often does this not work? Are they fairly guaranteed to get along (I might go pick up one of the others today)

Any recommendations for brackish plants? I kept brackish tanks before - I know brackish is a transitional stage for a year or so for these guys but I always heavily plant tanks as I find it beneficial for fish, nitrates, cover, hunting, etc. In my previous brackish tanks I never had great success with plants.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: GSP single or pair? + Brackish Plants?

Post by Pufferpunk »

It really depends on the puffer's personality. I kept a pair without any problem. It's best to purchase as juvies & grow them up together.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle

Post by pokeystar »

I have the second. They so far are swimming together peacefully and only 2cm each so very young. Treating for IP as the third in the shop tank looked very poor with black stomach. My wife was not impressed with another tank however she has been caught watching them and says they are very cute.
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 1x Green spotted pufferfish
Location (country): New Zealand

Post by Blinkey »

From what I gather, success seems to rely strongly on individual personality, as well as tank-size. Important to have ample space for fish to get away from one another when necessary. That 280 L sounds excellent for when they reach adulthood.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle

Post by pokeystar »

Thanks Blinkey
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

I did the gradual transition but really in retrospect I would just go full marine and get it out of the way and drip acclimate the puffers.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

I agree with going straight marine (assuming you can currently afford the initial investment), as it will pay off in the long-run. Also, it means you could have a sump refugium and try growing various marine macroalgae. I am currently in the process of installing one for my puffer tank.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle

Post by pokeystar »

Its going to be the gradual transition, the first step was about a teaspoon of marine salt in 60ltrs of water, one puffer showed no change but the second developed grey flanks. I will hold at this level for a week. There could be a range of reasons for the grey flank, they had parzi dosed bloodworm yesterday the same one has a constantly large belly even the day after feeding so IP's may be a lingering issue. They have had to metro and one prazi doses in the last week so I will pause and wait.
Blinkey
Dwarf Puffer

Post by Blinkey »

Yeah it is not unusual for a bit of greying/darkening with anti-parasite treatment. I just gave mine a second treatment of Levamisole hydrochloride the other day, and went a bit dark from that.
"Life, uh, finds a way"
pokeystar
Figure 8 Puffer
2 GSP Pickle and Noodle

Post by pokeystar »

Just a quick update. They have moved from the 50ltr to the 100ltr. A bigger tank awaits. Salinity is now 1.004. Raising has been slow due to the tank change over, the cannister filter was working hard enough. They have grown very fast! Currently 4.5cm each and that's almost 0.5 cm in just a couple of week. The markings are lovely really black defined spots with snow white belly. One very green the second slightly paler. Eating well, worms, bloodworm, cockle, snail, and having a chop on anything that enters the tank (my hand included). Noticeable much more active than my Fahaka. While I have provided caves the swim constantly. Am going to be away for 10 days in a week so no more messing with the tank. Hoping it remains balanced. They will be fed by a friend on a reduced diet.