Congo Puffer Lone White Spot Help!

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
vince106
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: Congo Puffer, Hairy Puffer, Figure 8
Location (country): United States

Congo Puffer Lone White Spot Help!

Post by vince106 »

Hi,

This is Bowser, my Congo puffer. Lately, I've been noticing him glass surfing, pressing his mouth against the glass quite hard, trying to bite the glass. It looks like he's targeting this white spot on his lips with pressure against the glass. It seems to be irritating him / causing him stress. Does anyone have any idea what this could be? It's the only abnormality anywhere on his body. He eats fine and behaves normally aside from daily, albeit limited, glass surfing (an hour or so max per day). Water quality is good, as close to zero ammonia as possible with safe levels of nitrates / nitrites. I have 40 gallons worth of filtration on my 20 gallon tank plus weekly 30 - 40% water changes and tank cleaning. Hardness, pH, temperature, and alkalinity are all appropriate. All the live food I give him including ghost shrimp, guppies, and crayfish, and either bred or kept in my other tanks to ensure good health.

The only other factor there is would be occasional liquid nutrients in the water, since my tank is entirely planted. I'm careful with the amounts and have been using them for quite some time with no adverse effects plus many fish keepers I know have confirmed their safeness over time.

You can see in the picture provided the white spot, which has been increasing in prominence the past week or so. Directly in the middle of his lips/mouth. Thank you so much for any feedback at all is much appreciated I'm worried about my puffer!

Vin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: Congo Puffer Lone White Spot Help!

Post by Pufferpunk »

I think he looks fantastic! You could add Melafix & see if that gets rid of the spot.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

I agree with Pufferpunk, he looks great, and is a beautiful fish.
Did the "glass kissing" start before the spot appeared or after.
The question is: Is the behavior the cause or the result?
It looks like a bruise or scar from an old injury.
I'd go with the Melafix (for possible infection) also, and Pimafix, in case it is (or turns out to be) a fungal problem.
With either or both, be sure to add an airstone, as these medications decrease the oxygen level in the water.
As far as your water parameters, some work needs to be done there.
ANY ammonia and ANY nitrite is bad thing, there are really no safe levels.
They also indicate that the tank is not cycled, which may be the root cause of the spot.
Bowser will be affected as such, and it will be harder to solve any problem with those levels higher than zero.
What kind of test kit are you using (liquid or "strips")?
Both of my Congo Puffers were occasional "glass kissers", but never seemed to do any harm to themselves as a result of it.
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
vince106
Puffer Fry

Post by vince106 »

Thanks for all the responses! I really appreciate it. I'm treating him with Melafix, and have some fungus medicine on standby. Just to provide a better picture at the white spot, I'm posting this here. Hopefully this doesn't change what you guys think of his condition.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eieio
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: *
The Congo Puffer:
"olivia"
and.......
The DP:
"cream puff"
RIP cream puff :-(
Location (country): U.S.A.

Post by eieio »

I wouldn't be alarmed about it as it is, unless it gets red or fuzzy or swollen or spreads
what about the test kits, what kind?
got figures for the parameters?
let's see 'um............
also, some answers to the questions in my post above
let's hear the whole deal, c'mon!
"I plan ahead. That way, I don't have to do anything right now!"
grup
Dwarf Puffer
Location (country): USA, Florida

Post by grup »

That's one really nice-looking Congo, vince106.

I'll agree with the previous posters on watching for any possible infection.

How long has the "spot" been visible ? Did it perhaps start after a rowdy feeding ?

Any chance this is a slice wound from a ticked-off prey item ( crayfish, crab, etc....) ?

I'd ease off on any larger sized, live food items for few days.

Is your Congo a "yawner" ? Perhaps you can get a close-up lip image when he's opened wide.

Good luck, and please keep us up to date.
vince106
Puffer Fry

Post by vince106 »

grup wrote:That's one really nice-looking Congo, vince106.

I'll agree with the previous posters on watching for any possible infection.

How long has the "spot" been visible ? Did it perhaps start after a rowdy feeding ?

Any chance this is a slice wound from a ticked-off prey item ( crayfish, crab, etc....) ?

I'd ease off on any larger sized, live food items for few days.

Is your Congo a "yawner" ? Perhaps you can get a close-up lip image when he's opened wide.

Good luck, and please keep us up to date.
Yes my puffer is a yawner. I'll try to snap a pic of him yawning. I've seen him yawn up close and never noticed anything abnormal in his mouth as far as signs of infections. It is possible its a scar or callus from either something he ate or just from glass surfing over time. I've been going through old pictures of him and I now believe this spot has been there just about since I got him. It has become more prominent over time which is why I noticed it. I believe it may be an effect of glass surfing rather than cause at this time due to that. I treated him with Melafix and Pimafix now for a week and a half and the spot hasn't changed nor has his behavior.

Eieio,

I'm sorry I didn't totally answer your post above - I made the post you see above prematurely then wrote another post answering all your questions. I'm still waiting for it to go through the admin filter so I'll give it some time before I become redundant...

This is an old picture of Bowser, you can see the spot is there as it is today only less white and noticeable. Flipping through his pictures I see it becoming more noticeable over the period of months. This particular picture is about 2 months ago.
TOPuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 pea puffers/dwarf puffers in a 20 G freshwater planted tank
29 G community tank with plecos, bamboo shrimp, khuli loaches, swordtails, neon tetras and apple snails
Location (country): Toronto, Canada

Post by TOPuffers »

Just have to say, he looks like a Bowser ;)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water - Loren Eiseley
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

I want a Congo!
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
vince106
Puffer Fry

Post by vince106 »

Hi guys,

Bowser's white spot seems to be fading away. His behavior continues to be normal. Still a funny looking blimp - like sand creature with a big appetite. I think he was fine all this time, maybe a little of an overreaction but I wouldn't want anything to happen to my little monster.

Anyhow, I thought I'd share a picture of Bowser defending Bowser's castle. Because it's Bowser defending Bowser's castle. Thanks for all the replies everyone! Hope everyone had a great holiday and new years.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Great shot!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
TOPuffers
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 3 pea puffers/dwarf puffers in a 20 G freshwater planted tank
29 G community tank with plecos, bamboo shrimp, khuli loaches, swordtails, neon tetras and apple snails
Location (country): Toronto, Canada

Post by TOPuffers »

Happy New Year to you and to King Bowser ;)
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water - Loren Eiseley
vince106
Puffer Fry

Post by vince106 »

I thought it would be worth mentioning - I have cured Bowser's case of glass surfing!

If your fish has been cleared of possible illness, is given proper care of water with correct parameters, and has a sufficient environment and diet - but still exhibits glass surfing behavior - try getting an aquarium fan to simulate freshwater current.

I got Bowser a fan two weeks ago and the glass surfing instantly ceased. The fan gives him a current to play with and has made a big difference in his behavior. No glass surfing at all. Except when I change his water and turn the fan off, he has a tantrum :lol:. Worth a shot though if anyone is having a similar problem.