Step One for Dwarf Puffer Setup (w/ picture)

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
ajwideout
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Step One for Dwarf Puffer Setup (w/ picture)

Post by ajwideout »

28 gallon tank that I just started cycling. Figure it'll be at least 2 weeks before I'll have any fish but this is a crucial time in my estimation because its the first time I'm setting up a DP tank. Please critique/scold me for whatever necessary, in the end I just want this to be a great habitat for these fish. There is also a piece of driftwood that I'm soaking/boiling now because it refuses to sink. (Also, bubbles? Yes or no?)

bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Step One for Dwarf Puffer Setup (w/ picture)

Post by bertie 83 »

Puffers love bubbles. How are you cycling this tank? I would expect to wait longer than 2 weeks unless you have access to established filter media
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
ajwideout
Puffer Fry

Post by ajwideout »

I am using Microbe-Lift Special Blend to establish the bacteria in my tank. I don't have an existing filter running so I'm a little behind the eight ball in that regard. I am well aware that the process can take over a month but am prepared to be patient. As I've mentioned before, I take great pride in provding the best to any animal I bring into my family and my dwarf puffers will be no different. I just want to soak up any information I can.
pollypuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 c. travancoricus - Phat Ted and Regular Size Rudy
1 c. lorteti - Schmendrick the Magician
~RIP Large Marge~
Location (country): Canada

Post by pollypuff »

Looks good! I'd like to see another pic with the driftwood on there. How many DP's are you planning on?
ajwideout
Puffer Fry

Post by ajwideout »

Driftwood is being completely uncooperative for the time being lol. It has yet to lose any of its buoyancy. As soon as I can get it in the tank I'll be sure to update with pictures.

As far as the number of fish...based on the different numbers I've found regarding fish per gallon, I had decided that four could fit in there comfortably, but was wondering if I could do five. Wondering aside I had planed on one male with three females.
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Post by gkai »

pollypuff wrote:Looks good! I'd like to see another pic with the driftwood on there. How many DP's are you planning on?
Good question! I would try to put at least as many caves/hiding places as you have puffers: with your current setup you may trigger aggression because the barrel is THE desirable resting spot and all puffers will try to have it for themselves. Well, at least that's my 2 cents ;-)
ajwideout
Puffer Fry

Post by ajwideout »

So as far as hiding places are concerned, any suggestions for that? Has anyone seen any success with cichlid stones in a DP tank?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

ajwideout wrote:I am using Microbe-Lift Special Blend to establish the bacteria in my tank. I don't have an existing filter running so I'm a little behind the eight ball in that regard .
At this point, all you have done is add a bacteria source which will starve if not fed (ammonia).
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/lib ... s-cycling/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
pollypuff
Dwarf Puffer
My Puffers: 2 c. travancoricus - Phat Ted and Regular Size Rudy
1 c. lorteti - Schmendrick the Magician
~RIP Large Marge~
Location (country): Canada

Post by pollypuff »

ajwideout wrote:So as far as hiding places are concerned, any suggestions for that? Has anyone seen any success with cichlid stones in a DP tank?
I don't know if they would really use cichlid stones, they aren't really into caves. Once the driftwood is in (if its giving you a hard time you can try weighing it down with rocks on it in the tank for a while) you might try tying anubia plants to it. I know I've said this before but IMHO anubias is one of the best plants to use in DP set ups. It provides hiding spots (mine like to sleep in it), breaks line of sight, is easy to grow and can't be rooted so its really easy to move around without having to disturb the substrate. One of the best tricks is to superglue some to small rocks (you can find a bag of rocks at the dollar store) and then you can move it where ever you like.
http://i.imgur.com/yvuf3qF.jpg
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Please read the article puffer punk posted the link to and look into tank cycling, to me it seems you are halfway there with your understanding but a little more research will reveal the bigger picture. You seem to care which is great I just feel with a little more research you will find this very easy and massively rewarding. Those dps will be in good hands. Just be sure not to add more than one male to the tank
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

I would add as many caves/ overhangs as you have puffers too. In my experience this helps to reduce aggression as they age as they have their own retreat which is easy to defend
ajwideout
Puffer Fry

Post by ajwideout »

Seems I was either misinformed or perhaps just missed something entirely when I was talking to the associate in the store. After reading Pufferpunk's post about starving the bacteria and then reading the article, I called the store and asked about a source of ammonia. Being dissatisfied with the person I talked to on the phone, I ended up driving over to the store and had a chat with the store owner :)

He was actually very polite and helpful and offered this as advice:
1) He said he could sell me an ammonia solution, but said that he has had great success just dropping a raw shrimp into the tank. Is this recommended?

2) He apologized for any inconvenience and offered a free decorations as thanks for returning to his store. Including updated pictures (all decorations thouroughly rinsed; please don't mind the no swimming sign, it makes the missus happy lol)

Also including a picture of chemicals that are in the tank thus far for your critique. As will always be the case, all input is much appreciated.

Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, many have cycled a tank with a piece of shrimp but NIMFT!!! (Not in My Fish Tank) Just what I want to start out my healthy system is a rotting carcass--not!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
ajwideout
Puffer Fry

Post by ajwideout »

Pufferpunk wrote:Yes, many have cycled a tank with a piece of shrimp but NIMFT!!! (Not in My Fish Tank) Just what I want to start out my healthy system is a rotting carcass--not!
So what do you use?
pufferjw
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Duboisi Puffer
Red Congo Puffer
Striped Redeye Puffer
Dwarf Puffer

Have Owned:
Amazon Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by pufferjw »

I would suggest pure ammonia, Pufferpunk is right about the shrimp.
220 Gallon - 1 Super White Leopoldi Stingray
55 Gallon Planted - No Fish
29 Gallon Planted - 1 Duboisi Puffer
29 Gallon - 1 Red Congo Puffer