Cleaning tankmates for Red eye puffers?

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
puffersir
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States of America

Cleaning tankmates for Red eye puffers?

Post by puffersir »

I have 3 red eye puffers in a 40 gallon tank. the tank is heavily planted, even with a carpet of dwarf hairgrass. while the water quality would be perfect, especially with the weekly water changes. the problem that i'm running into is sediment (such as food, waste, etc.) is settling at the bottom, and is not easy to clean. i was wondering if there are any filter feeding fish/invertibrates other than otocinclus that could possibly help improve the overall water quality, and not be terribly affected by the puffers.
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!
Location (country): United States

Re: Cleaning tankmates for Red eye puffers?

Post by Dadof4 »

Most invert cleaners are better known as snacks.
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

Not forgetting inverts, pleco etc produce tonnes of waste themselves.. So I think u are better off putting some elbow grease and do some vacuuming yourself..
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

+1, vacuuming will get it out
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
gkai
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Belgium

Post by gkai »

I have a different experience: my 2 irrubescos (male and female) are mostly ignoring shrimps in my tank...they were interested at first, but the shrimps are too quick and it's much easier to beg for food, so now they don't even look at them, except when the shrimps manage to catch a red worm or squid piece before the red eyes.

This can change of course, but I have the female for 1.5 years and the male for 6 month...

I have 4 amano shrimps and a glass shrimp...

Just take your chance, you may be pleasantly surprised, at least with irrubescos...