Looking for 2 papers on Carinotetraodon

This forum is now archived.
Phil1078
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States of America

Looking for 2 papers on Carinotetraodon

Post by Phil1078 »

Tan, H. H., 1999 - Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters 10(4): 345-354
A new species of Carinotetraodon from Sumatra and Borneo and validity of C. borneensis

Carinotetraodon imitator, a new freshwater pufferfish from India (Teleostei: Tetraodontiformes)
Ralf Britz Maurice Kottelat
Journal of South Asian Natural History 01/1999; 4(1):39-47.

Any other papers on Carinotetraodon would be appreciated!

Thanks
Phil1078
Puffer Fry

Re: Looking for 2 papers on Carinotetraodon

Post by Phil1078 »

Sorry scratch that second one. I meant this one:

First record from the wild of Carinotetraodon imitator in Peninsular India (Teleostei: Tetraodontiformes: Tetraodontidae)
By:Britz, R (Britz, Ralf)[ 1 ] ; Ali, A (Ali, Anvar)[ 2 ] ; Philip, S (Philip, Siby)[ 2 ] ; Kumar, K (Kumar, Krishna)[ 3 ] ; Raghavan, R (Raghavan, Rajeev)[ 2,4 ]
ICHTHYOLOGICAL EXPLORATION OF FRESHWATERS
Volume: 23 Issue: 2 Pages: 105-109
Published: OCT 2012
nmonks
Mentor
My Puffers: Carinotetraodon irrubesco
Colomesus asellus

Post by nmonks »

Have you tried writing to the authors? Ralf Britz is at the NHM in London, I think... hmm... yes, here:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/ ... ritz/index

The postal address is there, and if you were to send a stamped, addressed envelope, he'd have to be a pretty disagreeable person not to send you a copy of the paper, even if only a xerox. You could also try emailing first, making the offer to send an envelope. There's an email link there on that page, but I'd bet his email was r.britz@nhm.ac.uk on the basis of what my email address was when I worked there.

Scientists get a limited supply of reprints, and tend to send them out to "other workers in the field", i.e., other scientists with whom they exchange papers. But if you're just a pufferfish keeping aquarist, I'd recommend writing (or emailing) and offering a stamped, addressed envelope. Some scientists are a bit (often very!) disinterested in communicating directly with the public. I've no idea if Dr Britz is generous with his time or not, but nonetheless, taking the polite approach is probably the best route.

When I was about 14, I bought a weird looking fish I couldn't identify. Wasn't in any of my aquarium books. I made an appointment to see someone at the ichthyology department at the NHM to help (something museum researchers there are/were actually obliged to do as government employees, help individual members of the public). At the time I didn't know I was meeting up with a couple of really famous scientists, but what I did get was about an hour of really entertaining conversation that resulted in me getting an identity to my fish (it was a bichir, very rarely traded in those days) and stacks of photocopied scientific papers about them to read. I'll never forget that experience. At it's best, the NHM is an amazing place, a temple to knowledge, and a mecca for people interested in the natural world, from fossils to fishes!

In short: I hope Dr Britz is carrying on that tradition!

Cheers, Neale
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Thanks Neale, cool info!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Phil1078
Puffer Fry

Post by Phil1078 »

I was able to find the other paper, but I am still unable to find this paper:

Tan, H. H., 1999 - Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters 10(4): 345-354
A new species of Carinotetraodon from Sumatra and Borneo and validity of C. borneensis

Does anyone know where I can get this?