Figure 8 Setup - order of adding tankmates?

Tain't fresh, and tain't marine! Talk about brackish setups.
maccyg
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United Kingdom

Figure 8 Setup - order of adding tankmates?

Post by maccyg »

Hi,

I posted this question originally on a previous post of mine but think it may have got lost in the system somewhere!

I am still in the process of cycling my 225l tank ready to turn brackish and my setup will include:-

3x F8's
4-6 Bumblebee Gobies
2 Orange Chromides

Ideally I'd like to add the F8's first, then wait for a few weeks while I get used to their feeding habits / general upkeep before I add any more fish. Once things are going well I will then look to add the Chromides, again wait a few weeks and then add the BBG's - doing things this way will help me too as this is my 1st time at keeping puffers as well as BBG's and Chromides.

Is it a bad idea to start the tank with the F8's first and then waiting a period of time before adding more fish? I am concerned that by doing so may mean the F8's establishing territories and by adding new fish after a month or so would cause aggression and a certain hatred from the F8's towards their new tankmates? Or is it likely it will make no difference? I.e if they don't get along, they don't get along - it won't matter what order they go into the tank.
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: Figure 8 Setup - order of adding tankmates?

Post by Iliveinazoo »

I would add the Gobies first, some people report trouble with feeding them so it would be good to get them in and feeding before adding others. If you add them last then I think that you risk the puffers and chromides picking at them and if not killing them they may prevent them from settling and cause starvation.
maccyg
Puffer Fry

Post by maccyg »

Thanks, that's good advice.

I tried to find this out on the web / via the forum but there didn't seem to be anything related to the order in which to add tankmates, plenty on compatibility though of course.

Cheers, ok, so BBG's first then.

Tank still cycling but Nitrite showing up now so things are moving!
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.
Location (country): United States

Post by Hillehaus »

Congrats! Stay the path...you'll have fish soon. BBG are a riot to watch. Just make sure they're actually getting the food they are fighting for. Also, keep an eye on your F8. It may, or may not eat the BBG at some point. Mine seemed to get along with most of them but, some were eaten.
maccyg
Puffer Fry

Post by maccyg »

Cheers, I am being as patient as I can but I quite enjoy the science bit and it gives me a chance to finalise decor etc

Will keep you posted!

P.S Sending back the 2nd heater I have bought, 1st one was broken and now the 2nd (a Fluval E300) won't work unless I mount it horizontally below the filter output which is a bit of an eyesore! Don't suppose you can recommend any good heaters?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Jager heaters are all I buy.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
maccyg
Puffer Fry

Post by maccyg »

Yes I was looking at those too, can't go wrong with Eheim / Jager can you?

I think an exchange may be in order! Thanks again
Hillehaus
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP.

Post by Hillehaus »

+1 to Jagers. 3/4 of the heaters I own are Jagers.
Dadof4
Tech Team
My Puffers: 1 GSP (Microfiche) RIP, 1 Monotrete Turgidus (Leon) in a 30gal. 1 Monotrete suvattii in a 40 gal FW. 120 gallon BW with 3 juvenile Dragon Gobies (so cool). 55 gal with a 2" GSP named Hank. 180 gallon being set up for a Fahaka in the next few months!

Post by Dadof4 »

I add one of these to my heaters http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... atid=29387 because I've seen too many heaters go haywire, even the good ones. Redundancy is a good thing. :soapbox:
"Darwin swings...annnnnnd a miss. Boy Jim, Chuck's suffered at the plate tonight. He's 0 for 3 and I'm not sure he's recovered from that shoulder pull a few weeks ago. I'll bet the front office is re-thinking that contract."