Dwarf Puffers hogging food

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
Zeroboard
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States

Dwarf Puffers hogging food

Post by Zeroboard »

Hello,

I currently have 4 juvenille DP's in a 10 gallon planted tank. I spent a great amount of time when purchasing them to make sure that the correct sexes were picked out and the current ratio is 3 females to 1 male. There are a number of malaysian snails that I put in there that I got from a friends tank as he has a population problem with them. The puffers are fed once per day frozen thawed bloodworms, but the problem is: one of the smallest females hogs the majority of the food. The other puffers do get some to eat, but not to the point where their stomachs are slightly bulging like the food hogging one. The food hogger just appears to be faster and more excited about feeding time and zips through the bloodworms very fast. The other ones more casually swim around, ignoring most of the bloodworms but sometimes grabbing one and slowly eating them. I don't want the others to starve and I certainly dont want to overfeed the tank and make the water parameters unhealthy/ have the one over eat to the point where there are health concerns.

Does anyone/has anyone had this issue before? Any suggestions on
Iliveinazoo
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1xFigure 8
Location (country): UK

Re: Dwarf Puffers hogging food

Post by Iliveinazoo »

You will normally get a more dominant fish, try spreading the food around the tank a bit by dropping some in different places or dropping it in front of the filter outlet.
hadla
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: 2 gsps and a big Stars and stripes
Location (country): California

Re: Dwarf Puffers hogging food

Post by hadla »

^yep spread the food across the front of the tank so they have to search for it :)
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. -RTR