Golden Buddha Puffer???

You need it, you want to get rid of it or you have spotted a good deal and want others to know about it? Post about it here.
Forum rules
General Guidelines:
1. TPF Classifieds are intended primarily for advertisement of items related to fish and aquariums.
2. Include your location (City and State or Country) in your post or in your TPF user profile.
3. Posts may include links to commercial sites on the Internet or other commercial sources, but no spamming please :-)
4. No bootlegs, pirated games, spam or any other illegal or objectionable material.
5. Sellers are encouraged to include pictures of the products available for sale.
6. Sellers may "bump" their ad a maximum of three times.

Disclaimer:
- Sellers and buyers accept that this service is offered free of charge. TPF is in no way involved in the actual transaction between buyers and sellers and we cannot guarantee the accuracy of product descriptions or other information posted in TPF Classifieds.

Posting Ads
To help identify what type of classified you are posting, please use the following labels in your post topic:

FS - For Sale ex. FS Dogface in South Carolina
WTB - Wanted To Buy ex. WTB GSP in London area
PALS - Puffer At Local Store ex. PALS Fahaka at PetCo in SanFrancisco
Queen Lucy
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Pennsylvania USA

Golden Buddha Puffer???

Post by Queen Lucy »

Hi folks, just curious about a puffer listed on ebay. Says freshwater, "rare new discovery" or something like that, wild caught. Anybody know what this fish really is?? It is cute. Don't really trust this seller after the Ceylon puffer disaster one of the members had. My Ceylon that I got from this seller is doing very well and growing like a weed; I was lucky.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: Golden Buddha Puffer???

Post by Arny »

Can you post a pic or link so we can see it please
Queen Lucy
Puffer Fry

Post by Queen Lucy »

I don't know how to do that, I am totally computer illiterate.. If you go to ebay, search for 'live puffer fish' and it will be there. New listing. I sent a message to the guy and asked if the fish was similar to the fahaka, how big they get, what size tank, scientific name. The reply was immediate, ' wild caught from the amazon, no name for fish' Hefty price tag, though they are very cute, pretty markings, fish at present are stated to be 3". All I know is that if I got one, it would probably grow to 6 feet or better lol
Queen Lucy
Puffer Fry

Post by Queen Lucy »

And it doesn't help that I have a 29 gal. freshwater setup almost done cycling...
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

Here are the pix. At first I thought it might be a bulleye puffer but it's not. It almost looks like a fahaka.
$_3-5.jpeg
$_3-7.jpeg
$_3-6.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Queen Lucy
Puffer Fry

Post by Queen Lucy »

Thank you, Arny, for helping out a computer challenged grandma. I also just asked the seller if these are babies or full grown fish, and what else he could tell me about them; looked through the puffer pedia and googled but I did not find this puffer. I also thought it looked similar to a fahaka but seller said no, from the amazon I'll keep you posted as I try to get more information
Queen Lucy
Puffer Fry

Post by Queen Lucy »

Update: Question: Babies or adults, more info please Answer: Babies, he saw one 5". Peaceful, kept together All fins intact, healthy, eat live bloodworms. Makes a dolphin noise when taken out of the water (OMG)
Yikes I feel like buying one just to rescue it, and see what I end up with (huge, killer, tank busting fish with my luck) Still no clear answer on the species besides "Golden Buddha"
Queen Lucy
Puffer Fry

Post by Queen Lucy »

I am weakening; please talk me out of getting one of these I need to go to puffers anonymous
Arny
Mbu Puffer

Post by Arny »

Actually Queen, I think it is a Sphoeroides annulatus / Common Name: Bullseye Puffer. The puffer in the puffer pedia doesn't really look like the photos but I did a google on the scientific name and the pictures looked like the ones in the ebay pictures. Which means they're marine puffers.

ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Marine/S_Annulatus/
Queen Lucy
Puffer Fry

Post by Queen Lucy »

Hi Did more research and found that this is a sphoeroides rosenblatti. Not a lot is known about these puffers, but they have been found in brackish/freshwater estuaries, and mangrove swamps in South America west coast. They seem to start in freshwater and end up marine like other species of puffer. These can do well in groups as they are not very aggressive. (I don't trust any puffer to be gentle lol) High end brackish, higher termperature than the S. Annulatus puffer. They get 10-12 inches long=big tank needed. Foods like GSPs eat, love snails. Sand/soft substrate They've also been called Oval Puffers
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

If you have a cycled tank ready or can use Safestart, you should get it! VERY rare find!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Queen Lucy
Puffer Fry

Post by Queen Lucy »

Hi PP, I always knew you were a puffer enabler! I am still thinking about this puff; I have a bottle of safestart on hand, tank is almost ready, with a soft sand substrate (carib sea Tahiti moon), live plants, a freezer full of puffer food, a cultivated snail tank for my GSP and Ceylon, I can always get a bigger tank later on, HELP ME RESIST (I already spoke with the seller re: overnight express shipping) HELPPPPP MEEEEE
Queen Lucy
Puffer Fry

Post by Queen Lucy »

Re: sphoeroroides rosenblatti Also found out that they do not go out into the ocean, they are inshore puffs. They predate small periwinkle snails in the mangrove swamps and channels, even jumping out of the water up to one foot to snag the snails when the snails are <8 to 12 mm; can't crush the shells of larger ones. Also eat crabs, shrimp, bivalves. Water salinity varies with the tides, but seems they can do well in brackish. They prefer water temps in the 80+ degree range. Well, Puffer Punk, ask me if I ordered a Golden Buddha Puff :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You must not resist... :shock:
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Queen Lucy
Puffer Fry

Post by Queen Lucy »

YES I ORDERED ONE.....COULD NOT RESIST I will do a final water change tomorrow-ammonia trace, 0 nitrate, 5.0 Nitrate at present in the 29 gal. freshwater API kit. Should I add a small amount of Instant Ocean, less than 1.002 so the bacteria won't die, with the water change or should I keep it fresh, acclimate the "Golden Buddha" to fresh and then slowly raise the SG? I've been looking at acrylic 120 gallon 48x24x24 for a marine home for the "Buddha"; I have an F8 coming to my local pet store Thursday that I ordered for a cycled 1.005 20L brackish and my husband will probably kill me..this forum needs a Puffer Anonymous. Oh, and I've got a full marine 55 gal FOWLR. Power heads, skimmer for one 3.5" GSP and a 4" Ceylon I believe that I am beyond help...