Rescue Mbu- in bad way

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
capester
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England

Rescue Mbu- in bad way

Post by capester »

Hello guys, new to the forum as I have just picked up a Mbu this evening.

I understand the problems with keeping Mbus which is exactly why I have never had one despite loving them to bits.

I have kept red eyes, figure 8's, Fahakas, and an Abei but stayed away from the Mbu because of their size.

Anyway, I have 22" Mbu that was being kept in a 5' x 18" tank.

Needless to say he is not in the best way, red lines in fins, split in tail fin, overgrown teeth, really thin and listless.

Although the tank he is in now is by no means brilliant it is larger (6'7 x 30")- I just couldn't leave him where he was.

I was told by the owner that he has never eaten shelled foods (Cockles, Mussels etc) and that is why his teeth are overgrown. Apparently he had his teeth trimmed a few years back and I wondered if they had damaged them making it difficult for him to manage hard foods?

I plan to use some tonic salt tomorrow and a variety of foods to see if I can perk him up a bit. After this I will try him on harder foods and try to get some wormer into him.
Any other suggestions?
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Rescue Mbu- in bad way

Post by bertie 83 »

Welcome to the forum. Tonic salt will unlikely help, it's pretty pointless. Melafix will help with fin issues and keep the water pristine and they should heal in no time. If his teeth are overgrown you will need to undertake this task so you can get him eating again and fatten him up.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

Well I think this is still a rescue.. At least we trust that it's better of with u than him. I am more interested to know how much u paid for the 22in beast...
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
capester
Puffer Fry

Post by capester »

I am told that he does eat prawns etc but nothing with a hard shell on- I will try him on soft and shelled foods tonight. If he is eating as much as I am told he was he shouldn't be as thin as he is so I would be tempted to try anti internal parasite medication.

I will look at melafix but the split in his tail seems to have healed but has gone through the cartlidge so think it will always have a split.

The red in his other fins is hopefully down to awful water quality and will be keeping a close eye to see if it reduces now he is in better water.

Hi Scpion, I didn't pay anything for him- I couldn't really as I knew that he was going to take a lot of care to get right and a lot of money to keep as well I can. It did cost a fair amount of fuel money and several hours to get to him though as he was a long way away.

To be fair to the previous owner, at least he willing to give him up for the hope that he could have a better life. I just don't understand though why you would buy a fish a 5" knowing full well how big he was going to get if you have no intention of upgrading the tank.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Definitely treat for parasites as a precaution, if he is eating well he shouldn't be thin.
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

capester wrote:

To be fair to the previous owner, at least he willing to give him up for the hope that he could have a better life. I just don't understand though why you would buy a fish a 5" knowing full well how big he was going to get if you have no intention of upgrading the tank.
I am absolutely guilty of this.... But I honestly didn't know what it was when I got her... But have upgraded her to the best of my capability.. But obviously it's still not sufficient enough..

Btw coincidentally.. I got mine at 5in.....
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

[welcome]
Thanks for taking this poor fellow from his prison! Definitely treat with Melafix but IDT I'd use anything else for now. How was this tank cycled to handle the huge bioload?

Can you post a pic of his teeth? I'm afraid you may need to tranq & Dremmel.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
capester
Puffer Fry

Post by capester »

Him, that was a fast reply!

The tank is very mature as it used to house my Fly River Turtle who is now in a bigger tank and have left the external on it.

I was thinking of tranquilizer but the very thought of it is terrifying to me! Any suggestions on what to use and the dose? As he is so underweight I would err massively on the side of the caution
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

You need to get finquel to knock him out. If you are fairly local to me I would lend a hand if you need it. I also own a dremmel. Is he eating at all? If so feed him little and often with whatever he will eat to fatten him up quickly, feed feed feed. If he takes food dose it with a suitable ip med too
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Soak all his food in Vita-Chem or Zoe vitamins.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

capester
Puffer Fry

Post by capester »

Hi all and thanks for the kind offer, I haven't got around to filling my details out properly yet! Ia m in Derby so a long way I am afraid. I will look into what I can give him for I.P- I have used Drontal in the past but reckon the market may have moved on since then!

I am looking for pictures of "healthy" Mubu teeth as a guide as to how short to cut them. Anyone have any at all? Also should I cut top and bottom?

Thanks In advance
bertie 83
Non puffer
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo

Post by bertie 83 »

Derby is a bit too far lol. Without looking its hard to say. Can you get a picture for us? One more post and you should be able to put up a pic without moderator auth
capester
Puffer Fry

Post by capester »

I'll give it a go after this one then! Do you have to use photobucket? Cheers
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Yes, pleas link to Photobucket.

capester
Puffer Fry

Post by capester »

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply.

He has gone downhill rapidly over the past 2 days, barely moving, clamped fins etc.

Hopefully going to see an improvement to him over the next 48 hours.