My porcupine puffer only eats peas!

The forum for those beautiful marine puffers!
fugunabe
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

My porcupine puffer only eats peas!

Post by fugunabe »

Is it ok if my porcupine puffer ONLY eats peas soaked in vitamins?

When I first got my 3" porcupine puffer, he refused to eat clams on half shell or krill. He finally chewed half a piece of krill after two days of not eating. After reading this forum, I tried giving him a pea, and he loved them! After one week, however, all my porcupine puffer wants is peas! He refuses clams, octopus, shrimp, and krill (even infused with garlic supplement). He might give the clam one bite, then he spits it out and ignores it. I've waved squid,shrimp, or krill in front of his face with tongs, but he will shake his head like a child and refuse it. He will RACE across the tank for the peas, though. In fact, we tried giving him frozen brine shrimp with spirulina in the shape of a pea, but he spits it out once he realizes it's not a pea. The tank is filled with live snails and hermit crabs as a cleaning crew, but I haven't seen him eat any of those guys either. Is this healthy for the porcupine? Is this behavior normal for a small porcupine puffer? Should I put him on a fast to get him to eat squid, etc.?

Tank water conditions: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0, pH 8.3, s.g. 1.024, 90 gallons. He's the only fish in the tank. It's been cycled with live rock and live sand for over 3 months.
Arny
Mbu Puffer
Location (country): uk

Re: My porcupine puffer only eats peas!

Post by Arny »

Have you tried live food? Maybe try some river/ghost shrimp or live bloodworms or live garden worms/night crawlers. Maybe he's a vegetarian :)
Stratters
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Piggy, a Hairy Puffer
Location (country): Louth, England

Post by Stratters »

I wish mine was :(
Never trust big puffers. The fingers you save may be your own. RTR
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Yes I would try live shrimp gut loaded with meaty foods
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

One of my GSP's just went thru a "peas only" phase. It may just be a phase with your porky too, especially if you just introduced it into their diet. Either cut them off or keep feeding until they get sick of it and hungry enough to want something else.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
fugunabe
Puffer Fry

Post by fugunabe »

I tried a live ghost shrimp yesterday, but the porcupine couldn't catch it. After a while, the porcupine just gave up and begged for more peas.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

If that photo in your avatar is your fish, it looks emaciated. DO NOT FEED A SINGLE MORE PEA TO YOUR PUFFER!!! You MUST get it on a healthy, protein diet. Follow all the suggestions given here: library/feeding/problems-feeding-your-puffer/
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
jasonrusso
Puffer Fry

Post by jasonrusso »

Has your puffer started eating "normally?"
fugunabe
Puffer Fry

Post by fugunabe »

Not really. I let the porcupine puffer "fast" for a week while I was out of town, hoping that when I returned he would be ready for protein like shrimp, clams, lobster, etc. like the suggestions in the library. When I returned, all the cleaning crew snails and hermit crabs were alive and crawling about. (If he was truly starving, he could eat the snails). When I returned, I dosed some lobster pieces in garlic supplement, and waved it with forceps in front of my puffer's face, but he took one chew, spat it out, then refused to eat any more lobster. The same result occurred with clam and krill - a single chew, then spitting out. The puffer won't touch prawn or squid, no matter how much I wave it.

In the end, since the puffer hadn't eaten in over a week, I gave in and fed it several peas over a few hours. He was delighted. He spat water and even breached the surface of the water by jumping to get the peas before I dropped them in the tank! He chewed and swallowed each pea and started gleefully racing across from one side of the tank to the other. He seems unbelievable overjoyed. So the puffer has won its battle for peas. He looks very healthy and happy to me.

If you want to see the porcupine puffer eating a pea, it's on youtube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-BBO0b-c5E. That was filmed about a month now. He seems so happy with peas. Now I take the pea shell off first, since it seems easier for the porcupine to puffer to digest without shells.

I'll try some live ghost shrimp again once I have time to stop by the fish store.
DebbieOhi
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by DebbieOhi »

I love this subject header!

And I had no idea that puffer fish ate peas.

Debbie
Welch4
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 1 GSP

Post by Welch4 »

I have heard from my LFS that you can use the garlic supplement to attempt to get fish accustomed to other foods. If he really only will eat pea start soaking the peas in the garlic supplement. After a few feedings, attempt soaking other puffer appropriate foods in this. Hope to hear this puff will diversify its pallet soon.
Forget other advice about puffers you don't hear here - Pufferpunk
casc
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: "Juke" porcupine puffer 150G FOWLR
10G Aqua scape tank with Dwarf Puffer
~Non puff tank:
30G reef tank with Hawaiian Dwarf Peacock Lionfish
~GF tanks:
90G freshwater w/ fancy goldfish
90G freshwater w/ oscar
Location (country): USA, Vermont

Post by casc »

My porc won't eat lobster, squid or any if that type of stuff. His favorites are raw shrimp I buy at the deli and snails
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Marine puffers are more omnivorous then most FW puffers. Many puffers can seem to get fixated on a monotonous diets in captivity. Suggestions such as that offered by casc, Welch4, and others can be tried. You can also try feeding a favorite food w/garlic and a new food also with garlic at the same time - sometimes that has worked well for me also. You can expect any new food to take some time to be accepted if the fish is fixated on a single food. A varied diet is really needed to ensure a better balanced diet.

I love chocolate milk shakes, but know that I cannot live on them. Sometimes we have to teach the pets we keep similarly.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
casc
Figure 8 Puffer
My Puffers: "Juke" porcupine puffer 150G FOWLR
10G Aqua scape tank with Dwarf Puffer
~Non puff tank:
30G reef tank with Hawaiian Dwarf Peacock Lionfish
~GF tanks:
90G freshwater w/ fancy goldfish
90G freshwater w/ oscar
Location (country): USA, Vermont

Post by casc »

Yeah those are his favorites, not the only things in his diet. How long can fish go without eating?
DMD123
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Tetraodon baileyi (Hairy Puffer, named Gizmo)

Post by DMD123 »

Original post was from May of this year and the forum member only had three posts, which were all in this topic. I wonder how that puffer is doing now?
300g Pearsei x1, Bala Sharks x 3, Dabola endli (Tinkisso river) x1, Ansorgii x1
65B Hairy Puffer
65B Angel fish x1, Monk tetra x7, BN Pleco x2
90G red devil
90G Trimac
46G Bowfront Community tank
30G Growout