Help!

A place to discuss general puffer care or news.
Achilles
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1x SAP in a cichlid community tank
1 tetrodon Baileyi in own tank
Location (country): Great Britian, Reading

Help!

Post by Achilles »

Hello,

I am new to the site and require a little help. I have a 100 litre freshwater tank i have set up with the intention of putting a hairy puffer in there. However the lfs who were adamant they could get me one have come up short for over a month! Basically i was wondering if you could suggest what other puffers could be an alternative? Its an established tank for 2 years and until recently housed a salvini who has now joined my cichild community tank. It has a 200 litre external filter, powerhead , sand substrate, rocks, plants and a clay pot as a cave.

Asuming the hairy puffer is not going to materialise what other puffer options are there?

I already have a SAP in the community tank, so not interested in them again, and No to dwarf puffer or GSP (i have enough small fish and i am really not ready to try brackish or full marine for the GSP).

Ideally it would be an agressive eater with personality, lurker or hunter i don't mind. I have read the pufferpedia but was interested in a real world perspective from puffer owners.

Thanks
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Help!

Post by bertie 83 »

In a 100 litre you are really limited to the lurkers. It's too small for anything active like a sap so doubt you would get that as a suggestion tbh. The real fun starts at 120g with a fahaka, you want aggression that's what to aim for lol. Welcome to the forum, where abouts in Britain are ya?
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

congo puffer!
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
Achilles
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1x SAP in a cichlid community tank
1 tetrodon Baileyi in own tank
Location (country): Great Britian, Reading

Post by Achilles »

Thanks for the advice. your not going to believe this but my hairy puffer arrived at the shop this morning! After 5 weeks of waiting! :D he is nearly full grown and lots of ciri, so I am presuming he is a male. They are going to keep him a week to make sure he is over the stress of transport.

As for the fahaka, yes that's the one I wanted originally but the misses said no to the 120 gallon tank in the flat! Especially as I already have a 55 gallon cichild community tank as well as the now puffer tank.

I'll try and post some picture of Frankenstein when I get him.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

As puffer are almost all wild caught, they do tend to be of highly seasonal availability. You need to know what species are available at which time of the year.
Where's the fish? - Neptune