New owner of a Tetraodon Abei

Dwarf, Red Eye, South American & more. Freshwater puffer talk in here.
RaveaK
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: T. Abei and figure 8
Location (country): Louisiana United states

New owner of a Tetraodon Abei

Post by RaveaK »

New owner of a T. Abei, I purchased it/him/her (i refer to it as a male) about two weeks ago. All I was told is he is a full grown "orange abei" but despite the vast amount of knowledge the lady Ive purchased fish from for years has rearguarding freshwater fish, my abei just came in and she only knew basic info, like that of what I can find online. She recommend a forum. So, from watching my fish I'm learning different things about his personality, I'm noticing the changes in his color and what I think causes it, I'm learning what he liked to eat and how he likes to kind of be teased with it before he will go for clams, shrimp...non live food. Live food, he allows to live for a while (few hrs) I think he likes to hunt. Since I don't know the age of my fish, I'd like to learn as much as I can to have him as long as possible! I'd like to know how often do I feed him? It seems as long as food is offered, he will eat! I don't want to over feed him. I have a figure 8 puffer in another tank and when it is full, it won't eat anymore. I've heard about culturing worms but I have no clue where to start. I'd like to figure out a way to have live food readily available (in a separate tank of course) any suggestions on that? I read about vegetables too... I want him to be as healthy as he can be! Is there anything I should be aware of, things I should look out for? Any special foods he might favor or as a treat? Basically, any info or tips from someone who has had experience with these kinds of puffers would be great, I'd really appreciate any advice!
Timo
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 3x Colomesus Asellus (SAP)
Location (country): The Netherlands, Horst.

Re: New owner of a Tetraodon Abei

Post by Timo »

Hi,
Do you have some pics from your puffer?
RaveaK
Puffer Fry

Post by RaveaK »

Yes but I don't know how to post it.
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

upload it onto a image hosting site then link it here.

I can't wait to see pictures I have always wanted an abei but they are hard to find.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RaveaK
Puffer Fry

Post by RaveaK »

This is my buddy enjoying a frogs leg the day I got him. I had a divider but the curious frog kept crawling under it....
RaveaK
Puffer Fry

Post by RaveaK »

....nothing? No one knows more than the basics about my puffer? Can someone steer me in another direction so I can keep him as healthy and as happy my puffer can be?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

He's gonna eat that frog for sure! Just do a search here. I'm not sure how many here have them right now, it's a pretty rare find. I know folks have kept them in the past though.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
nzac
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Minnesota, USA

Post by nzac »

I have one,only had him a little over a month though so don't have much I can add for you.
Mine doesn't allow anything to live that he thinks could be food. I feed mine once every day to every other day, they will eat until there is nothng left to eat. When I had gotten mine his first tank had a ton of baby pond snails in it, he wiped them all out in two days, ate so much the first day he actually threw up, and then went back to eating. the saps, GSPs I had in the past and my fahaka never did anything like that so it was an eye opener. as for food mine usually gets pond snails, small ramshorns, cherry shrimp, ghost shrimp, baby crawfish, and has had a couple small leeches, I feed my snails and shrimp a veggie based diet and pull them shortly after feeding to give to the abei so he gets some veggies in his diet.
Last edited by nzac on Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
puffykid
Former Staff Member

Post by puffykid »

I have a brown puffer he isn't the same species but part of the target family I have had him for around 11 months next week. Generally I would say have a lot of plant cover (plastic or real) as it seems to make mine more active, feed as infrequently as possible as in I will often only feed mine about 2.5 - 3x a week(I use 2.5 because some weeks I will only give him a few small snails to make him hunt and explore but not fill him up). The first day or so after a meal he is lethargic I will usually wait until he starts begging for food again to give him his next meal. As lurkers they don't burn much energy and I feel like it is even easier than other species to overfeed, try to feed a variety of food bloodworms, ramshorn snails, gut loaded ghost shrimp, frozen market shrimp (one of mines favorites), brine shrimp are just some suggestions in order of how often I would feed the specific food. Over filter as in any other puffer but I suggest using a lower flow as mine seems to appreciate that more, finally I would say use low wattage lights as I feel like these puffers are more night owls than daytime lovers; I personally have my tank with no direct lighting on it but it overall receives indirect sunlight from the room he is located in.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

+1 to puffykid's comments above. The lurker predators are special cases and do need to work a bit for their food to keep them healthy and fit. It takes time and effort to get to move around enough for fitness and avoiding obesity. Overfeeding is really hard on the lurkers IME.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
purplecandle
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Currently
2 Adult Green Spotted Puffers
1 Fangs Puffer
1 Baby Green Spotted Puffer
Location (country): USA (NC)

Post by purplecandle »

Mine only eats live earth worms and ramshorns. He would Eat live fish, but I don't feed him feeders as it is bad practice.

I agree with puffy kid about the tank decor. The tank your puffer is in is really under decorated for a lurker puffer.

Here is my lurker tank

You have a really beautiful puffer there!
RaveaK
Puffer Fry

Post by RaveaK »

Oh, that was just the first day, his tank has a lot more now....still under construction! We've added some slate like rock, made some tunnels, he has fresh water sand and some live plants. ...and bubbles....it LOVES bubbles! The tank is 55 gal so it will take work filling it up but I'm working on it! Clams have been added to his diet, no more feeders & tho he loves to eat from my hand...I've learned he'd like to taste my fingers as well! I think some eating was a part of getting used to his new home. His personality has changed some, seems happier, comfortable, and like he knows its his tank! He's older and has been shipped a lot so I hope he's settled in and happy cause he's home! If anyone has any other tips, advice, ideas, please share! Thanks you guys, I know where to come if I ever need help with my puffers!
puffykid
Former Staff Member

Post by puffykid »

You have a single Abei in a 55g?

Thats great that your puffer is settling in and starting to recognize you soon the endless begging begins.
RaveaK
Puffer Fry

Post by RaveaK »

Yes, he has the whole tank to himself!