Looks like my puff can't eat

Oh no! Sick fish?! Come here and see if someone can help!
Forum rules
Read this before posting!!

Since this board has been up, we have found there are several questions that routinely get asked in order to help diagnose problems. If you can have that information to begin with in your post, we'll be able to help right away (if we can!) without having to wait for you to post the info we need.

1) Your water parameters - pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates and salinity (if appropriate). This is by far the most important information you can provide! Do not answer this with "Fine" "Perfect" "ok", that tells us nothing. We need hard numbers.

2) Tank size and a list of ALL inhabitants. Include algae eaters, plecos, everything. We need to know what you have and how big the tank is.

3) Feeding, water change schedule and a list of all products you are using or have added to the tank (examples: Cycle, Amquel, salt, etc)

4) What changes you've made in the tank in the last week or so. Sometimes its the little things that make all the difference.

5) How long the aquarium has been set up, and how did you cycle it? If you don't know what cycling is read this: Fishless Cycling Article and familiarize yourself with all the information. Yes. All of it.

We want to help, and providing this information will go a LONG way to getting a diagnosis and hopeful cure that much faster.

While you wait for assistance:
One of the easiest and best ways to help your fish feel better is clean water! If you are already on a regular water change schedule (50% weekly is recommended) a good step to making your fish more comfortable while waiting for diagnosis/suggestions is to do a large water change immediately. Feel free to repeat daily or as often as you can, clean water is always a good thing! Use of Amquel or Prime as a dechlor may help with any ammonia or nitrite issues, and is highly recommended.

Note - if you do not normally do large water changes, doing a sudden, large water change could shock your fish by suddenly changing their established water chemistry. Clean water is still your first goal, so in this case, do several smaller (10%) water changes over the next day or two before starting any large ones.
MAB
Puffer Fry
Location (country): United States, Florida Keys

Looks like my puff can't eat

Post by MAB »

1. The pH is 7, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates are all 0. the water temp is around 70 F

2. Paul lives in a 10 gallon aquarium and has 3 small corry cats as tank mates. Has a guppy buddy (was meant to be eaten, but has now grown to large) and a few gost shrimp (who have also grown to large for cunsumption). I have an underground filter and a Quiet Flow 10 Aqueon power filter.

3. Feeding:
I was feeding him FD Baby Shrimp (Tetra) and FD Blood Worms (Omega One). When the pet shop caries them... I would get him some ghost shrimp. But... he has not eaten a live shrimp in about a month and a half. Now the few shrimp left have grown to large for him to eat. He was consistantly eating the FD stuff untill last Monday (May 20). Now he does not eat.

Water Changes:
I do a 50% water change every 2 weeks and I try to do a 100% change once a month. The last 100% change was last Wednesday (May 22)

Products:
API Aquarium Salt. I put about a TBL in every 5 gal
API Proper pH. I follow the directions.
Tetra Aqua Safe plus. I follow the directions on that as well.
***side note: I live on an island with acess to one, very small and limited pet shop. I have to mail order anything other than Tetra and API prouducts. And even then... my options are limited.

4. I change the filters regularly. And I clip his teeth about once a month. But I view these as rutine.
I have not changed any decorations recently.

5. the aquarium has been running for two years. I cycled the water by letting it run (no fish) for 2 days. I then added the corry cats. waited 3 more days. I origionally had a Beta. He eventually sucumed to genetic illness (as they all seem to do). After the beta passed I did my "cycle" process again and this time set the tank for a puffer. I have had my puffer, Paul, for a little over a 1 year.

The purpose for my post is because Paul has stoped eating. It's not that he won't eat. He gets very excited when I drop in the food... but he has a mini spaz attack when he tries to go for it and seems to get frustrated, then retreats to a cave. I see him try... but it looks like his mouth dosn't close...? Or that he can't suck it in...? When he was eating, he would make a sucking sound.
I am concerned that it may be lockjaw. But I have never given him Krill, and I was very religious about clipping his teeth.
I read on an earlier post on this forum, that someone was recomended to forcefeed... but my little guy is only 2 in long and gets very upset when I use my long tweesers to pick out dibris (so I can imagine I would give him a hearattack if I chased him with it.)

I would greatly appreciate any advise.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: Looks like my puff can't eat

Post by bertie 83 »

What species is he? Judging by the teeth being clipped I would guess a sap? If it is stop using aquarium salt as it is not good for him. I am shocked you are showing no nitrite. Also the 100% change will be stressful for the fish. If it is a sap it could likely be boredom/stress. Welcome to the forum.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
MAB
Puffer Fry

Post by MAB »

He is a figure eight.
When I looked up his species online, salt was recomended.
When I do the water change, I keep about a gallon of the old water to help with the transition.
I have had no problem with him before this and I have had him for a little over a year.
MAB
Puffer Fry

Post by MAB »

I have taken some vid of him trying to eat.... I have to wait to get home to load it.
Thank you!
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

Aquarium salt does not make brackish water, marine mix does. Aim for an sg of around 1.004 for best health and longevity. You should not need to trim his teeth that often, try adding lots of snails to his diet.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Something to add to what PP was talking about: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32416
Might go ahead and grab a bottle.
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
PufferDek
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Canada

Post by PufferDek »

bertie 83 wrote:Aquarium salt does not make brackish water, marine mix does. Aim for an sg of around 1.004 for best health and longevity. You should not need to trim his teeth that often, try adding lots of snails to his diet.
This is what my LFS sold me with my F8. Shocking now that I think about it. The testing strips I got with the fish weren't really suitable either, I would be surprised if the nitrite level isn't higher than you think it is. Maybe get an independent test done at the LFS.

It took me a few weeks to raise the sg to 1.004. I would recommend separating him into a suitable sized aquarium and making sure it is cycled and at the correct sg level before moving him.

My little guy didn't make it before I could do that for him. Don't let it happen to yours.
MAB
Puffer Fry

Post by MAB »

I am going to the mainland this weekend. I will look for a "real" pet shop. My shop here is not helpful.
I will look for a new text kit also. Can you recomend one?
This eating problem is very recent. I don't know if the salt is the problem... but I'll look into that too.
Thank you
Master of Puffers
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: target puffer

fahaka

6 dwarf puffers
Location (country): La Belle Province

Post by Master of Puffers »

our mbu took nearly 2 weeks to acccept food from me..he slammed around his tank until he was so tired and hungry that he would take food dropped in front of him.. It took another few days before he'd allow me to feed him in his tank..

his water parameters were perfect..but he was a wild caught puffer.
A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But puffers are a girl`s best friend.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

API Master Test kit can be ordered from Amazon.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

MAB
Puffer Fry

Post by MAB »

Ok, I got the only test kit that Pet Supermarket had (store brand). and here are my results.
Temp 75
No Ammonia or Nitrite
Nitrate is about 17

I got to look closely at his face today and the left side of his mouth is a little pink and looks a little swollen.
is it possible for him to break or sprain something in his jaw?
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

Have you fed him any snails? Can you please try to post a pic of his mouth?

MAB
Puffer Fry

Post by MAB »

I have fed him snails once.... but it was a long time ago. I couldn't get them small enough, he would suck the out of their shell. But I used to feed him gost shrimp and FD shrimp and blood worms.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

My guess is if you've been feeding mainly krill, he's got lockjaw.