Storing prepared saltwater

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
DGabbs
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): Canada

Storing prepared saltwater

Post by DGabbs »

Hi Guys!

I will be traveling abroad for 2 months and just had a couple questions about leaving the tank. Its a 10 gallon reef tank, with easy-care corals and some invertebrates/fish (goby, shrimp, snails).

Fortunately i have someone who can feed the tank every other day, and do 2-3 water changes. Being a relatively small tank (10g) i would probably only have them replace 3 gallons of water max per change. The thing is, the person doing this for me is a freshwater guy and doesn't want to mess with salt levels (he will check SG each time he feeds).
I could easily mix up 10gallons of salt water, but i was wondering if i could keep it somehow. Would i just need to keep in in a large jug with a lid in a dark, cool place?

I use RO water, so shouldn't be an algae issue.

I understand that this trip isn't going to be the best thing for my aquarium and i'll probably need to do some work on it when i get back, but the trip in cast in stone.

Thanks!
.oOo.oOo.
DGabbs
Figure 8 Puffer

Re: Storing prepared saltwater

Post by DGabbs »

I figured 3 changes should be enough. I usually only do 2-3 gallons every 2 weeks anyways, and my water is crystal clear.

I know its a small tank, but i heard of people not doing water changes for years... :shock:

It is a pretty well established tank (Lots of live rock to water volume, cleaner shrimp, corals, live sand). Ammonia and Nitrite are always 0, and nitrates are always pretty low.

I've got some nerite snails in there that help with algae which really has never been a problem at all.

Using instant ocean regular BTW.
.oOo.oOo.
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

Are water changes the way you maintain Cal, Alk, and Mag? Or do you dose?
Kind regards,
Terrance
DGabbs
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by DGabbs »

I have Kent essential element that i dose sparingly. I don't have any "extra needy" corals or inverts so I don't tent to over do the dosing. But I do add an appropriate amount when i do FW top offs. I don't test for calcium and trace elements, but my reef and fish seems to be doing just fine.

I will certainly get him to dose between water changes. Thats a good pointer!

What do you think of adding some PODs to the tank before I go to stabilize any algae that may grow and keep the corals/inverts happy? I have seen the bottled live pods online, but never tried them.

Thank!
.oOo.oOo.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You should already have them from your LR. Doesn't hurt to boost their population though.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Terrance
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: Retired Puffer Addict
Location (country): USA

Post by Terrance »

I think you would be ok to leave premixed saltwater in a jug because that is what i did when i had water leftover after water changes. When i googled this topic, a lot of people say leave the water circulated, so that is what i do now. then turn on the heater overnight prior to water change.
Kind regards,
Terrance
DGabbs
Figure 8 Puffer

Post by DGabbs »

Cool, thanks everyone!

I've got a mega water heat that heats my whole water change bucket to 75 in 3 minutes.
.oOo.oOo.