New to The forum

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!
Forum rules
New to TPF? Read our Rules HERE!
nphilli31
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 3 Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): United States

New to The forum

Post by nphilli31 »

Hello everyone! This isn't my first post. I had a pressing issue with my pH, which is why i joined the forum. Everyone was so helpful. Thank you all again.
I am relatively new to fish. In fact my 3 GSP's are my first fish I have ever had. And yes I got caught by my wife saying "Look How cute these fish are!!!" Not knowing anything about them we got them. All 3 at the same time and put them in a 10 gallon Fresh water tank. After realizing this was NO GOOD at all. We freaked out and ran to the lfs and got a 55 gallon. Then a couple weeks later got another 55 cause we realized one just wasn't enough room for them to grow... Long story short, I love my puffers and they seem to be happy, have had them for about 6 months now. I stumbled across this site in search of some more information. And I love it. Everyone is so nice.

P.S. Puffers are awsome
So many water changes, so little time.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Re: New to The forum

Post by Pufferpunk »

You 2 are doing a wonderful job!
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers
Location (country): USA

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Welcome! Perhaps you can keep all the decor and equipment and sell the two 55gal tanks and get a single 120-150 gallon tank so they can grow up together. Also please try to take them to full marine ASAP as mine have shown remarkable improvement in terms of behavior and growth plus their colors become much more brilliant! Doing so will minimize the chances of stunting and they will live longer lives. I totally love my GSPs as they too are currently in a 55gal and what I mentioned above is what my plan is for my little guys on a likely upgrade! Anyways good luck!
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
nphilli31
Puffer Fry

Post by nphilli31 »

They currently are in medium brackish. (1.010) been increasing by 1.001 by weekly till i get full marine. I have recently bought a 90 gallon which i am cycling in 1.023. I do plan on getting a much larger tank in the future but right now I am a little constrained financially. They are sill 1 inch, maybe a little longer. The 2 I have in the one 55 have almost become buddies, they swim together and never seem to be bothered by each other. Even when feeding.

Do you think they all 3 will be ok in the 90 for now? It will probably be about 6 or 7 months before I can afford a 125,

But for the 90 it will take a little while to get that up and running. I have to build a stand and i am building a 40 gallon sump with refugium. The only thing that is really getting in the way so far is Money. lol.
sgtmyers88

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Sounds awesome! I would go ahead and work on getting that 90 set up as a FOWLR Marine tank. Since your puffers are still young I see no problem with that arrangement to place all of them together. Its better to have them grow up together than to mix them after they have matured. Plus with a new tank there will be less squabbling for territory. When you do finally get the tank set up feel free to post pics of your setup and your puffers. Good luck I know how it is with the money situation! ;)
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.
nphilli31
Puffer Fry

Post by nphilli31 »

Thanks!! I Plan on having it all built in 3 weeks. (Right now the 90 is sitting on a re enforced work bench) I figure that should also give it enough time to cycle, I plan on siphoning out the water to move it to the stand then siphoning it back in. (alot of work but i know once i get my stand built i will be very impatient putting the puffers in their new home). I want to make sure its mature enough to not stress them to much.

How big are your GSPs? They are really awesome fish. I didn't used to like fish at all. But after getting these guys I am a total convert. :-P
sgtmyers88

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Even though ive kept fish for 16 years im actually a recent puffer addict myself. Got my GSPs from Walmart at 1 inch back in Feb and had them in full marine in May and as of late August they range from 2-4 inches. One of them is a rescue from another forum member who was unable to keep him anymore. (he is the smallest of the pack but has the biggest personality) And yes they are very funny and special fish.
Just make sure to get that tank well cycled by running some live rock with bio spira in there first to help get it established. No need to rush that process.
nphilli31
Puffer Fry

Post by nphilli31 »

I have mostly dead rock in there with 4 pounds of LR to seed it. Liverock around here is outrageously expensive. Like $15.00 a pound. So instead of spending my life savings on LR I thought it best to just seed it. :-D

I cant wait till they get bigger. :)

I felt so bad for the GSPs at wallmart. I wanted to buy them all to give them good homes, but i would never be able to afford to keep them. Besides that would just feed the trade. The guys at wallmart are so miss informed about them. Even some of the LFS places around here are keeping them in terrible conditions. *sigh* oh well what can you do. I have talked to them, but it seems to fall on def ears.