Betta is well and eating

Non puffer freshwater discussion. Don't tell your puffers, they'll be jealous!
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Betta is well and eating

Post by Troender »

I have to share what a new betta in my house has been through the last 24 hours. Yesterday I was visiting one of the LFSs, and I did something that I haven't done before, and had decided to never do: I bought a sick fish. I saw a betta there who was in trouble. It reminded me of a puffer who had puffed on air: whatever he did, however much he swam down into the water, he just floated up to the surface again. He also turned over on his side quite often. He should have been doomed, and I have no idea why I offered to take it with me home for a very low price. But I felt so sorry for him, and I knew he had no chance to survive in the LFS, what so ever. The chances would be slim at my house too, but at least I had proper meds that I know work. So I took him home with me. He got a 15 G tank by himself, but I had to put him in a net in the tank (with a little plant so he had somewhere to hide - I didn't want him to have extra stress), as the waterflow in the tank was too strong for a sick fish. He was a bit thin too, but not so bad that it was a big problem. Strangely enough, he ate pretty well. It was absolutely now problem to offer him food. He ate like any other betta, which meant he didn't think twice. They have mouths larger than their bellies! :wink: To strengthen his immune system, I gave him Esha Optima, liquid vitamins that works wonders on almost every fish. I also added Esha 2000, which is a very good medicine on bacterial infections, but still is gentle to the fish (in my experience - I sound like a commercial now :lol: ). I suspected an infection in what we in Norway call the swim bladder - the air filled area inside a fish. Such infections gives fishes exactly the kind of trouble my betta had. To be honest, I had no illusion that a fish would come back from such an illess. But today the surprise was huge: he is so much better! I haven't seen any other problem than the one that some food can fix - he needs some fattening up. Of course I am going to finish what I've started with the meds. And I am going to keep an eye on the situation, but it looks like he will make it! Actually he looks like any other fish, except being a bit thin. I won't celebrate until it's been some days he has been well, but it really looks good for him. I didn't think it was doable! What made me try to save this little fish's life, I have no idea, but something must have told me that this could turn out well, even though he looked like he was doomed. :mwave: I just had to share this story, as it really has made my day!
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

skoram
Puffer Fry
Location (country): Korea

Re: Betta is well and eating

Post by skoram »

that's a really awesome story, thanks for sharing ! especially great since it had a happy ending :D
Troender
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: 1x GSP (Bolla), 1x m. something. Bought as a leiurus, maybe a turgidus (Tiger), 1x c. irrubesco (Tott(a) aka Houdini) 1x c. salivator (Jack the Ripper), 1x m. cochinchinensis (Hufflepuff - R.I.P.), 2x c. lorteti (Tommy and Tigern = Calvin and Hubbes), 1x m. suvatti (Koseklumpen), 1x m. palembangensis (Dragonfly), 2x t. biocellatus (Koken and Fiken).

Post by Troender »

He is still well. :D The only problem now is that the female I bought for him, has eaten off most of his tail. I had to put her in jail. :shock: But I am so happy for Erling, as I've named the betta (it's after a Norwegian archbishop, who lived in the 12th century). I had not much hope for him when I brought him home. If he had stayed in the shop, he wouldn't have made it.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider! -George Carlin

Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

That is an amazing story. Congrats for saving him!

The male and female may not be able to live together, ever.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

The male and female should NEVER live together! They can only be together when they're properly conditioned and ready for breeding. Even then, they can seriously injure each other.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:The male and female should NEVER live together! They can only be together when they're properly conditioned and ready for breeding. Even then, they can seriously injure each other.
That's what I ought, too. I didn't wanna open my mouth and spout super wrong information though. Thanks for clearing that up.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

LilGreenPuffer wrote:The male and female should NEVER live together! They can only be together when they're properly conditioned and ready for breeding. Even then, they can seriously injure each other.
It really depends on the betta's temperament. I have one male living with three females without problems, and one male living with a single female (it didn't work out with a second one). A friend of mine has all of her male bettas living with females. You have to watch the temperament of both the male and the female, and then have a look at who you can have together. But you need to monitor the situation when they are together, as things can change. What you do need is a heavily planted tank, and a tank that's at least 20 G, or preferably larger. The male with three females is in a 22 G, and they have spawned twice. He doesn't nip at the females, and the females don't nip at him. The male with a single female is in 35 G, and couldn't have been in anything smaller. BTW, some females don't go together either. You never know with bettas because of the different specimen's personality.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

I will have to respectfully disagree. I still don't think that's safe long-term.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

Troender
Former Staff Member

Post by Troender »

I found the reason why it didn't work out with the female with my betta. The female is now making a bubble nest... :lol: No wonder he got beaten up. Luckily he is healing fast (again), and eating like a pig. The "female" is still in jail, while I figure out where to put him. I didn't plan to have one more male to find room for.
Inger Anne
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Females have been known to make bubble nests, believe it or not. Does this fish have an ovipositor?

I AM A DUDETTE!