What is healthy Fahaka behavior?

Discuss & learn about Mbu, Fahaka, Mappa & other giant puffers.
Indeed
Puffer Fry
Location (country): USA

What is healthy Fahaka behavior?

Post by Indeed »

So i work at my LFS and we had a fahaka 7-8" there for a few months and i picked him up. He was kept in one of the stores 75g
tanks, he was very active and extremely aggressive as well as very hungry all the time (and eating huge amounts). Well i moved
him to my 120g planted tank at home, and now he is very passive and wont eat more than a single clam (1/3-1/2 of what he ate
while at the store). He is also mellow and sits for long periods only to occasionally swim up and down the front panel. He has been
in the tank for about 4 days.

Is this normal? he was so much more active and glutinous at our stores smaller tank. what gives?
what is "normal" behaviour for a healthy puffer?

The tank specs as of today: Ph 7.6, ammonia 0, nitrate 30, nitirite 0*

filtration: home made 5g biofilter, 50w uv sterilizer, pag of purogen.

*after seeing the specs did a 40% water change with gravel vac, lots of detritus. this most likely will solve my nitrate issue.
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: What is healthy Fahaka behavior?

Post by bertie 83 »

Sounds like normal fahaka behaviour to me
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
puffykid
Former Staff Member
Location (country): Madison, WI

Post by puffykid »

Also if you've only had him for 4 days then he may be still adjusting to you, puffers are unique in that they won't eat if they arent comfortable yet so don't be surprised if he hunger strikes for a bit. Just let him adjust in to his new living arrangements and he will probably perk up a bit, does he have a nice hidey hole to retreat to? That often helps them feel more safe and then more active, of course some fahaka's are just lazy and will just lounge around all day regardless of treatment. What you saw at the store may have been him trying to store energy up to keep himself healthy.
1 M. Turgidus - 29 gallon
scpion
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: 23in Mbu, donated to SEA Aquarium
4in Fahaka 150g
Location (country): singapore

Post by scpion »

Btw, fahakas are one of those that will burrow quite often. And they do chew up plants. Good luck to your plants..
I am not a Troll, I am just pissed..!
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

I've had 3 of them (separate tanks of course). All three behaved differently. One was hyperactive, always hungry, and dangerous. One was moderate on those things. The third was rather bashful. They could see at leas one other Fahaka. They are intelligent fish and have a broad range of "natural" behavior.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Indeed
Puffer Fry

Post by Indeed »

Thanks for all the input, my fahaka is starting to relax and behave more like before. He is certainly less aggressive now, but as i recall it was about 3 weeks before he really acted like he was ruler of his domain in the store tank. So i am sure some cohabitants will disappear in the near future lol. As for the plants, they are high light fast growing plants and i am dosing excel, so even if he was a herbivore i think i would be alright lol. again thanks for all the input :D
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Why risk the lives of his tank mates? Please remove them, unless you can be assured they won't be harmed.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Indeed
Puffer Fry

Post by Indeed »

He killed 1 of 12 tank mates in the month he has been in. The tank-mate that died was slightly territorial and kinda had it coming. the 3 Siamese algae eaters, 7 Odessa barbs and 2 goldfish* stay away and he leaves them alone, seems to me the dense plants help. (*The goldfish have since been moved out, they were awesome duckweed exterminators though). All this to say he is pretty non-aggressive until food hits the water; if he were to start massacring his tank-mates i would move them out.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

If the fish is not yet mature, you really cannot predict anything about what the personality will be at maturity.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

If he does turn killer you will be unlikely to save any fish, he would likely strike at night murdering everything in 1 sitting. He may choose to kill nothing, unless they irritate him lol
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

You're keeping GF in a warm-water system?
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

Pufferpunk wrote:You're keeping GF in a warm-water system?
He said he removed them.

Also, OP, be sure to feed a wide variety of foods so he doesn't get a deficiency of some sort. Vitamins are also a great thing to consider.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
Indeed
Puffer Fry

Post by Indeed »

Yeah i moved the GF out, and i can't stress enough that they were just there to eat duckweed and they had been treated for disease before they became residents.

To be honest i don't care about his tank-mates they are just a clean-up and algae control crew. I am sure he will kill them sometime in the next 10+ years that
i plan on keeping this fish. they are not exactly rare fish either. call me mean but unless he totally massacres the tank in 1 night, if the occasional disappearance
happens they will be replaced.