C. irrubesco eggs

Are your puffers feeling a little naughty & lil ones are the result? Post your findings here!
Mirrorpad
Puffer Fry
Location (country): England (uk)

C. irrubesco eggs

Post by Mirrorpad »

Thought I'd share my experience with my red eyed red tailed puffers to say thanks for the help I recieved recently from the forum. Here goes....

I have had my Puffers for around 2 months. I did not plan to breed them and did nothing but feed regularly. I noticed the female was getting quite fat and even thought about feeding less. Today I had not put the light on and around 17.00 I switched it on to feed. The female seemed to be stuck within a plant and was shaking as though she was trying to get out (they always rush to the front of the tank to greet me when I get near) The male was by her and started to nip her, something I have never seen him do. She got out and came to the glass and I noticed she was a lot thinner. I fed them and both ate well as per usual. I decided to take a look in the plant and discovered the eggs.
Since then I took a look on here and there is nothing about breeding them so enjoy.
I am unfortunatley on holiday tomorrow for a week so don't imagine there will be any further developements to this story but will try to breed again when I get back, and hopefully raise the young. I'll keep you informed.
Mirrorpad
Puffer Fry

Re: C. irrubesco eggs

Post by Mirrorpad »

Fgghhhh
Last edited by Mirrorpad on Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

My lortetis spawned all the time (until the female murdered the male). The eggs were so tiny, I couldn't find anything small enough to feed the fry.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Mirrorpad
Puffer Fry

Post by Mirrorpad »

Why is it so hard to raise puffers? I have raised other egg scatterers with ease. Will they not eat micro worm and baby brine shrimp (when older) what makes them difficult to raise? I would like tips as I would like to try.
Cheers Dave
RVS
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: Currently:
2 T. Nigroviridis
20 C. Travancoricus.
Also Kept:
M. Abei
Other BF:
A hundred of Brackish P. Velifera & P. sphenops.
Pure Parambassis Ranga.
Location (country): Mexico lindo y querido!

Post by RVS »

Infusoria first 48 horus, vinager eel next 48 hours and microworm next 48 hours, at 27ºC will be enough.

That is the way i rise betta splendens and colisa laila, this babies are really small and manage to survive almost in 80% rates.
Let there be light, and lit up the days... Let there be puffers, and they swam around the world...
PuffGenesis, 1, 1.
Mirrorpad
Puffer Fry

Post by Mirrorpad »

That's how I fed my baby fighters minus the eels. So the Puffers will feed the same?
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

Many fry really need infusorian foods for the first days to a week at least. The newly hatched fry need infusoria-rich tanks which can be provided easily by masses of java moss - preferably high in the water column. Rearing fry requiring micro foods initially is not as hard as most hobbyists think.
Where's the fish? - Neptune
Mirrorpad
Puffer Fry

Post by Mirrorpad »

RTR. You mentioned in a previous post that these have not been bred (many years ago) I take it they have now? Or did you mean reared to sellable size? Thanks dave
Corvus
Mentor

Post by Corvus »

C. irrubesco have not been bred to my knowledge, neither have C. salivator. C. lorteti and/or C. borneensis have been bred as well as C. travancoricus.
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Give a fish a man, and he'll eat for weeks.
Mirrorpad
Puffer Fry

Post by Mirrorpad »

Cool. I'm going to try to remove eggs and raise at next spawning although the eggs were eaten within an hour or so. Just have to keep an eye on them and hopefully catch them in time.
Thanks for the info. Dave
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Hobby spawning and breeding data is not the most trustworthy info around. We rarely have certain IDs on even common puffers - look at all the questions here on GSPs for an example. But we do know GSP is a "species" in sore need of serious study and revision. It may be a collection of regional subspecies, or perhaps separate species, or only regional color and marking variants. That groups kinship with "green" puffers appears to be close, but that is still undefined, as is clarification of the real kinship among what we lump together as GSPs. Even genetic data is more than a bit suspect. If any folks here are familiar with the rainbowfish, similar situations appear there - fish with supposedly "clean' nuclear genomes may well show cytoplasmic genes from other species - which is ignored in calling those strains "pure" species when they obviously are not. Genetic purity unfortunately not well defined in the hobby and unlikely to be so anytime soon.

The Carinotetraodons are likely to be the subgroups of puffers where we have the best opportnities for learning about captive puffer breeding, but they are puffers and can be pretty waspish toward partners/conspecifics. Until hobbyists attempt the same sort of breeding co-housing used for similarly temperamental Cichlids, we cannot expect mush. I would bet money that very few of these fish cohabitate year-round, and the chances are quite good that the pairing is for the breeding act only unless the one of the pair has proteceted refuge and the other has visible but not touchable outlets for their protective instincts. At least the Cichlid breeders and the ethnologists have shown us what we need to do. We only have to set up the needed systems to test it all. That require money and time and the interest. It is far from a single-tank process.

HTH
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

Many fish spawn but a successful breeding includes bring the fry up to adulthood. This is quite different.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

Good point PP! There is a world of difference in egg disposition and spawning. Also a world o difference between observed breeding and actual fertilization. And again a world of difference in fertilized eggs and live hatching. Then comes the biggie: successful rearing of viable fry to independent living juveniles. Only that last really qualifies as spawning and rearing.
Lil' Swimz$
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Lorteti - Peaches
Location (country): USA

Post by Lil' Swimz$ »

Have you looked into microworms? I have cultures ready at all time incase I ever have fish breed (not likely, haha but still). They are really easy to culture and easy to feed.
Ha ha, he he! DAncE whEn yoU're HAPpppy! He he he! DAnce, danCE, DANCe!
RTR
Mentor

Post by RTR »

As part of the cut-back in my number of tanks, I have been cutting back on breeding set-ups. I am dropping my rotine breeding of most standard fish other than my long-tern strain of Dwarf Neon Rainbows. Their infusorian food need is real but undemanding, so I need little beyond a first grow-out tank with plenty of Java-moss clouds. After I get the re-do completed I want to try a few other fish which are likely to require a bit more cultured early foods, but that is a year or more off.