size of GSP

The forum for puffers that either live or start in brackish biotopes: GSPs, F8s, Ceylons & more.
Tforbes003
Puffer Fry
My Puffers: 1 Green spotted puffer
29g marine tank
Location (country): Oregon united states

size of GSP

Post by Tforbes003 »

i have a happy full marine GSP and ive had him for alomst a year now. he has grown a little bit but is still only about 2" and nice and round. he is healthy and gets fed gut loaded brine shrimp that has his veggies in it. he also eats his snails but i have to crush them for him to eat it.. my main question is how long does it take for them to get larger? i have a 66 gal tank that im going to switch him out to once i have it set up.. but i know these guys can live for up to 15 years and get about 6" in total length but ive never seen anyones get that big is there a reason that is?
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Re: size of GSP

Post by sevenyearnight »

You may see growth after you move him, always best to upgrade ASAP as opposed to waiting for growth that will likely be much better in a larger tank.
Tforbes003
Puffer Fry
29g marine tank

Post by Tforbes003 »

does anyone on here have a large or full grown GSP? i just havent seen any even when i google for large gsp i just find it odd
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
My Puffers: Filbert, the 12" T lineatus
Punkster, the 4" red T miurus
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles
Location (country): USA, Greenville, SC

Post by Pufferpunk »

2 of them:

You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

"The solution to pollution is dilution!"
Tforbes003
Puffer Fry
29g marine tank

Post by Tforbes003 »

:) are those about 4"? ill have to post a pic of mine when i get home for you guys to see.. i just love these little guys :)
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

They are 6". Bought them at 2", that was 2 years later.
You are getting sleepy... you only hear the sound of my voice... you must do water changes... water changes... water changes... water changes...

El Scorpio
Fahaka Puffer
My Puffers: none, at the moment...
Location (country): Louisville, KY.

Post by El Scorpio »

Nitrate can cause growth stunting in fish, so one of the things you can do is keep nitrates under control. Your GSP should start growing faster in the 66 gallon tank.
RTR
Mentor
Location (country): East Coast, USA

Post by RTR »

It is not just nitrate. We use nitrate titer because it is the only major pollutant which we can measure easily. Poor water quality suppresses growth, as does insufficient current and tank size. Good food, clean water, visually complex decor with areas of current and somewhat sheltered areas for rest are all important for getting puffers to full size. Fish grow throughout their lives, but to make full adult size they do need to grow as fast as possible prior to sexual maturity. Growth slows markedly after that.

HTH
Where's the fish? - Neptune
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(

Post by jus85411 »

here is my GSP, he died after ingesting air(i think). while doing tank maintenance he freaked out and splashed at the surface, it went downhill from there even after a small air bubble came out trying to "burp" him. he obviously is in the middle of turning in the picture. he got rather excited when i approached the tank, especially if i was doing something above the tank. he always assumed he was getting fed. so here he is slightly turning so you cant see end to end vs the tape measurer. he was such a pain to get this picture taken because he would always face straight at me so i couldnt see him long ways. but he was roughly 5 inches when this picture was taken. he was more 5 1/2 when he died :(

Elem7777
Puffer Fry

Post by Elem7777 »

Is it just me or do the fish in the 2 pictures in this thread of large mature GSPs look different than juvenile GSPs? The colors seem duller, the spots small and high in number, and the mouths shaped differently.

Is this a change that occurs when reaching maturity or just a slight difference in genetics? I wonder because I've had 2 GSPs for about a year and a half now and they're probably only at 2 1/2 and 3 inches. I'm wondering if they're still just not mature or if they're probably just never going to get to 5'' let alone 6''. I had thought most growth occurs in the first 2 years.
CoCoPuffs
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Post by CoCoPuffs »

Elem7777 wrote:Is it just me or do the fish in the 2 pictures in this thread of large mature GSPs look different than juvenile GSPs? The colors seem duller, the spots small and high in number, and the mouths shaped differently.

Is this a change that occurs when reaching maturity or just a slight difference in genetics? I wonder because I've had 2 GSPs for about a year and a half now and they're probably only at 2 1/2 and 3 inches. I'm wondering if they're still just not mature or if they're probably just never going to get to 5'' let alone 6''. I had thought most growth occurs in the first 2 years.
Colors fade in most animals as they mature.
Pufferpunk
Queen Admin
Mongo, the 4" A modestus
2 T biocellatus
C valentini
C coranata
C papuan
Also kept:
lorteti
DPs
suvattii
burrfish
T niphobles

Post by Pufferpunk »

My 2 looked exactly the same as every other juvie GSP you see in stores, when they were young.

Elem7777
Puffer Fry

Post by Elem7777 »

Pufferpunk wrote:My 2 looked exactly the same as every other juvie GSP you see in stores, when they were young.
So then if a GSP doesn't appear to have dulled out and slightly changed in shape it's probably not mature and probably still has time to show some decent growth?
Nuclear_Glitter
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): North Carolina, USA

Post by Nuclear_Glitter »

A good diet and vitamins is also very helpful when it comes to growing.
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal." -- Henry Ford
sgtmyers88
My Puffers: Green Spotted Puffers

Post by sgtmyers88 »

Pufferpunk wrote:2 of them:

OMG they are so beautiful! Congrats!
WARNING: Puffers are mischievous little blimps with enchanting powers. You may not be content with having just one.