Cat Food

Tell us about your other furry, winged or scaley friends!
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: T. nigroviridis
Balki Bartokomous
Location (country): USA

Re: Cat Food

Post by sevenyearnight »

I just realized it says babysitting instead of benefiting.
jus85411
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: none currently :(

Post by jus85411 »

sevenyearnight wrote:Eukanuba, Nutro, Bil Jac, ect they all used to be good food, but they have all been bought by other companies. Please check the ingredients of the food, they are all crap now. Corn and biproducts (inedible by human standards) are what most if those foods are comprised of.
ah yeah they might be different from when i worked at the pet store. that was about 7-8 years ago
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

J-P, it might be difficult to get a domesticated cat, used to eating grocery brand foods, to eat a whole rabbit lol
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP Inigo Montoya, Fezzik, and Vizinni.
RIP James Bond.
Location (country): United States

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Someone told me that one way is to puree whole meat and give it to them like canned food, then work up to more chunks, then eventually go with whole meat on the bone.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

Found among the papers of Mohatma Gandhi

Come and visit http://www.thetriopsforum.com!

I AM A DUDETTE!

NEED NITRIFYING BACTERIA FOR YOUR NEW TANK? PM ME!
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

If the raw diet is high quality whole meat, you wouldn't *need* to supplement, but probiotics,, antioxidants,so on, are never bad to supplement. It's tough and expensive to get get high quality whole meat sometimes though. Ground turkey or chicken for instance wouldn't be a whole meat.
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

Unless they ground the whole turkey, do they do that?
Meat isn't my specialty, I'm an herbabore.
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member
My Puffers: Dwarf puffer - Thumbelina (only mine in my heart now; she lives in CT with my friend)

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

She said you'd have to grind the WHOLE thing, yeah. Organs, bones, etc.
"I will give you a talisman. Whenever you are in doubt, or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test. Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you may have seen, and ask yourself, if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him or her. Will she gain anything by it? Will it restore her to a control over her own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to freedom for the hungry and spiritually starving millions? Then you will find your doubts and your self melt away."

I AM A DUDETTE!

sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

*Shudders* at that imagery
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Post by bertie 83 »

I feed applaws and iams cos the ingredients actually contain some meat lol. Most don't. They help themselves to cabbage and similar things off plates when we have finished. My kittie loves a good hot curry so she has some of mine whenever I have one which is normally 1-2 times a week. She loves it hot
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
maxkin59
Puffer Fry
Location (country): UK, Maidenhead

Post by maxkin59 »

Our cat still prefers cat food at any day. Though it really is about how you feed them as they grow up because they tend to lean on different types of food even if they root from the same family.

I have a friend who has let her cat grow on a leaf diet for almost 3 years now and that seems odd but that is just the way things go for them. I am with taste of the wild, still.
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)

Post by kcartwright856 »

Taste of the Wild. One of the absolute best foods out there, hands-down.

Some people are scared of the price, even though it's not the most expensive out there, but you have to remember that there are ZERO fillers in this stuff, meaning that you feed them / they eat less.

Everything else is over-processed garbage in a bag.
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
sevenyearnight
Former Staff Member
Balki Bartokomous

Post by sevenyearnight »

kcartwright856 wrote:Taste of the Wild. One of the absolute best foods out there, hands-down.

This latter blanket statement just isn't true; there are many companies out there that are producing very high quality natural, holistic, organic, filler-free cat food.
CoCoPuffs
Figure 8 Puffer
Location (country): usa

Post by CoCoPuffs »

Food. So that it doesn't starve...
kcartwright856
Green Spotted Puffer
My Puffers: 2 C. travancoricus (dwarf puffer)
7 Pangio kuhlii
5 Otocinclus vittatus (w/ fry)

Post by kcartwright856 »

sevenyearnight wrote:
kcartwright856 wrote:Taste of the Wild. One of the absolute best foods out there, hands-down.

This latter blanket statement just isn't true; there are many companies out there that are producing very high quality natural, holistic, organic, filler-free cat food.
It doesn't matter how organic and natural a food is... if it has grains of any sort, it's not suitable for your carnivorous pets. I feel that this is backed by both science, nature, and personal experience, but I'm willing to call it a personal opinion if it helps others swallow it. (And the bit about carnivores eating stomach contents of their prey is highly debated. Many researchers have continually observed both wild and captive animals tearing the stomach open to discard the contents.)

Granted, said foods are certainly better than the grocery-store brands that grind up euthanized pets, roadkill, and otherwise discarded animals... but they're still not the absolute best thing for your pet. If I have access to something better, I always get better.
-KC

My DP tank journal: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29746
LilGreenPuffer
Former Staff Member

RIP James Bond.

Post by LilGreenPuffer »

Sure, grain is bad, but there's other brands with the same quality and comparable ingredients.

I AM A DUDETTE!