20g SW tank?

Beautiful, complex and discussed here. The marine fish and reef section.
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer
Location (country): California, USA

20g SW tank?

Post by goldielocke76 »

Seriously considering moving Luau up to a 36 gallon bow (trying to keep all the tanks out in the living room when we move, and I am going to get a stand for one for upgrade in the future if it doesn't happen now) and I was thinking of turning the 20 gallon into a Reef Tank. If so, anyone out there with a similar set up, can you tell me maintenance? I am just curious about it and want to look into it. Thanks =)
5.5g: Pond snails
5.5g: Red Cherry Shrimp and Rams
10g: PZ the Pee Wee (DP), Ghost shrimp, Otos x3
36g: Luau the F8, Zebra nerites x8, sometimes a herd of ghost shrimp for food
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

RIP Yoshi, you are dearly missed <3
bertie 83
My Puffers: lineatus R.I.P, South American puffer. Valentini puffer, porcupine puffer.
Non puffer
Danios, Tetras, Redtail Rasporas,
Harlequins, CAE's, Yoyo
Loaches, Clown loaches ,Eels, various shrimp, tangs,wrasses, damsels, chromis
Location (country): Brighton, England

Re: 20g SW tank?

Post by bertie 83 »

I think many people have documented small reef tanks on here, I am certain you will get some links very soon.
It's amazing how easy maintenance is. If done regularly and thoroughly
xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
My Puffers: Fahaka named Bloat
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon
Location (country): USA

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

Ive got a 20g sw and for maintenance I do about a 5g water change ever 3 weeks or so. Use a turkey baster to clean out the LR and then suck everything up during the wc. I think my SW tank is less work then my FW tanks lol.

Ive got around 20lbs of LR, 1 power head, and an empty canister(water movement) and it all works great.
RTR wrote:Fahakas do not have tank mates, they may have swimming food reserves.
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

Post by goldielocke76 »

xrayjeeper83 wrote:Ive got a 20g sw and for maintenance I do about a 5g water change ever 3 weeks or so. Use a turkey baster to clean out the LR and then suck everything up during the wc. I think my SW tank is less work then my FW tanks lol.

Ive got around 20lbs of LR, 1 power head, and an empty canister(water movement) and it all works great.

Thanks! I was reading up on your post last night, but I did want to double check. Do you have any fish in there? Wasn't it a clown or something? LoL so I was looking into it last night, and I was thinking of maybe doing a red and green mandarin or a pair of clown fish (nemo I know) but both of those sets require a bigger tank than 20 gallons = / I would love to try my hand at corals on a smaller tank though...what do you guys think?
60g: Perches the starry blenny, 1 watchman goby Snaps the l.c. hermit, 2 emerald crabs, 1 red crab, 2 turbos, 7 asteas, 2 nerites, 2 clown gobies and 2 firefish gobies (upgrading to a 90 gallon reef)

xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

Right now I have a GSP in there with 5-6 small hermits,1 large electric blue hermit, 2 snails and 4 ghosts. They all live very well together. Also have corals in there.

Im upgrading to a 37 soon, but will possible keep the 20 running and get some kind of shrimps that are fun to watch
goldielocke76
Fahaka Puffer

Post by goldielocke76 »

:hijack:

really quick: Moving Luau to new tank, I feasibly have 3 sizes I can choose from: a 26 g. bow front, 29 gallon reg, or 36 gallon b.f. (I really have an obsession with bow fronts)

I know we follow the rule bigger is better, but, I am following a budget. So let's say max size (overshooting intentionally) is 4 inches. For a four inch fish, what would be better? I am going inbetween the 26 or 29. What would be the best forever home, say, in an apartment LOL (in a perfect world where I had tons of money to spend, he would be getting a 46 gallon pulling out all the stops, but unfortunately, it's not a perfect world LoL, so please humor me). I have a stand that would be a 30 inch long tank max. Also, I do have to present reasoning to the bf, so if you could let me know why you chose they way you did, that would be helpful. =)

Thanks guys!

***edit: I also have a size constraint, hence why it's not a 46 gallon LoL. This would potentially give me 6 tanks. I need room for all of them, LOL

xrayjeeper83
Mbu Puffer
Abei named Huey
GSP named Bacon

Post by xrayjeeper83 »

For me, I look at the footprint of the tank. Puffers dont really care about the height, so I look for the widest and longest I can afford.

And can you hijack your own thread lol